Premed 101 Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mac the Marauder

OMSAS ABS requirements

Definitely an art lol. I used a mixture of buzzwords found in canmeds and what my actual responsibilities were. Helped that I had some unique things. You try and make each entry tell a very very short story hah.

It deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be abrbaveietd and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

Try to find the story you want to tell. I found that a lot of people are so focused on trying to get into med school that they forget how exciting it is, so their stories lose their flare.

Use the CANMEDs to figure out which story to tell, and try to incorporate the qualities and ideas the schools you are applying to are promoting. For example, Toronto is super specific, asking you to write essays relating to their clusters. 

Once you write everything down on a word document, try to see if the whole piece is cohesive. When different people review your application, it is broken down to small chunks. Each ABS will be read separately, and you want to make sure each of them can represent you in the best way possible.

Another thing you can do is try to reach out to med students or physicians to take a look at what you wrote. I found that getting that feedback really helped bring my ABS up a notch.

Good luck!