Premed 101 Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MDinCanada

How to research

I'll be working on a research project this summer. It will be my first time analyzing data and writing a paper. Any tips on how to work on the project efficiently? Any guides on how to approach research?

what kind of research? Basic science? Epi? Chart review? Give us an idea of what you're actually doing and what kind of a team you're working with so we can actually give you useful non-generic advice.

26 minutes ago, adhominem said:

what kind of research? Basic science? Epi? Chart review? Give us an idea of what you're actually doing and what kind of a team you're working with so we can actually give you useful non-generic advice.

Clinical research and case reports, thanks!

By clinical are you referring to conducting an RCT, or observational studies?

Either way, I'm sure you've already conducted a thorough lit review. The next best step would be to go back to these manuscripts and analyze the statistical methods they used to determine which comparisons would be meaningful for your study. Knowing what you want to do with your data makes working with it much more manageable. 

Whenever you feel lost in the abyss that is clinical data (lol) reflect back on the overarching goals of the project and you'll find your footing again!

On 5/23/2018 at 12:22 AM, MD_2021 said:

I'll be working on a research project this summer. It will be my first time analyzing data and writing a paper. Any tips on how to work on the project efficiently? Any guides on how to approach research?

Strap yourself in, prepare for endless delays and frustration. Prepare to have your work scrutinized to no end. There is no such thing as efficiency. Its fun though. Enjoy, welcome to research.