Premed 101 Forums

Biomedical sciences at York university

Hello guys

I’m an international student and just got my admission from York University in Biomedical Sciences.

I’m interested in the medical or dental school for future studies after getting my bachelor degree in Biomed.

I’ve heard from many people that York is not a good choice and I won’t have a chance to enter medical school from York, in another hand, many people suggest me to study my health science major in McMaster University. They say I’ll have a better chance to enter medical or dental school after studying in McMaster as it is well-known for its health science programs.

McMaster’s deadline for fall is over and if I want to change my university I have to study 1 or 2 semesters in York and then I can transfer to McMaster.

What’s your thought about this? Help me plz

7 minutes ago, Amin said:

Hello guys

I’m an international student and just got my admission from York University in Biomedical Sciences.

I’m interested in the medical or dental school for future studies after getting my bachelor degree in Biomed.

I’ve heard from many people that York is not a good choice and I won’t have a chance to enter medical school from York, in another hand, many people suggest me to study my health science major in McMaster University. They say I’ll have a better chance to enter medical or dental school after studying in McMaster as it is well-known for its health science programs.

McMaster’s deadline for fall is over and if I want to change my university I have to study 1 or 2 semesters in York and then I can transfer to McMaster.

McMaster Health sci is known to be a rigorous one. Wherever you are, the program and university do not matter. Nothing is easy, you have to work hard.

Both schools are good. I had seen people from these universities getting into well known medical schools. I am from York, I had a classmate who got into Yale University.

Whatever you decide to choose, do well and enjoy your studies. Good luck!

I went to York and took Biomed and can say it is definitely a "rigorous" program as well.  I would definitely not let the university label deter you from coming to York and seeing what it has to offer.  If it's not to your liking, you can apply to switch over to McMaster if you think that is more your fit as you mentioned.

More important than the school name is how well you do and what you make of your opportunities.  If you have any specific questions about York's science programs, especially biomed, I'd be more than happy to answer them here or you can PM as well. Cheers!

• 8 months later...

I can only speak to York's undergraduate chemistry department, as chemistry is the degree I'm completing here.  I would say York's reputation for being easy, should not extend to the Faculty of Chemistry.  The rigor and expectations are quite high, but unfortunately the department is a little bit dysfunctional.  In some ways, this may even make it harder than a comparable program at another large research university.  I would say the faculty has a number of very good profs, a handful are excellent, but it seems to have more than its fair share of profs that render their courses a self-teaching experience. 

For example, the undergraduate director, who comes off as a really nice guy in class, can be a complete jerk on a one to one level, and is responsible for maintaining some of the dysfunctional status quo, in terms of not doing anything about the profs which probably shouldn't be teaching anywhere. This same program director, makes his own courses ridiculously difficult, in terms of requiring encyclopedic memorization of obscure reaction mechanisms.  He's memorized two somewhat ineffective textbooks, literally, (he cites the location of concepts and mechanisms he's teaching down to the paragraph # on the page, all from memory), and requires that the entire department use these texts for 2nd year organic chemistry. 

Thankfully, many of the second year organic chemistry sections are taught by a couple excellent profs, but if you're looking for an easy ride, you'll be disappointed. I would say avoid third year orgo at this school, unless your memory is very good, and prepare to work hard.  People who say York is the easiest place in Ontario to get a BSc, clearly have never taken chemistry classes here, because the fairly high standards, and systemic problems in terms of some of the faculty, make a difficult program a little harder than it needs to be.  "Pre-med" students who don't necessarily excel in the physical sciences, and are hoping to 'slip under the radar' by doing chemistry at York, might be better served by choosing a different program, or potentially, going somewhere else.   

• 5 months later...
On 5/25/2018 at 3:28 AM, PremedToronto said:

I went to York and took Biomed and can say it is definitely a "rigorous" program as well.  I would definitely not let the university label deter you from coming to York and seeing what it has to offer.  If it's not to your liking, you can apply to switch over to McMaster if you think that is more your fit as you mentioned.

More important than the school name is how well you do and what you make of your opportunities.  If you have any specific questions about York's science programs, especially biomed, I'd be more than happy to answer them here or you can PM as well. Cheers!

Hello,

I would like to know about how 'rigorous' is York biomed. I;m a transfer student and hoping to pursue med school. Tips? Advice?

15 hours ago, Easterlily said:

Hello,

I would like to know about how 'rigorous' is York biomed. I;m a transfer student and hoping to pursue med school. Tips? Advice?

Hi there, I think what you need to do is look at the course calendar for the biomed program and compare it to others at York vs other programs at other schools as well. It really depends on what you find interesting and what you think your strengths are in. At this moment, that would be my biggest advice to you

On 5/24/2018 at 9:41 AM, Amin said:

Hello guys

I graduated from York (Biology program) and about to start my first year of medical school (Ottawa U). It’s definitely one of those things where it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy rather than anything based on any tangible fact. Some may argue its “easier” to get a higher GPA simply because York doesn’t have A- but every single person I knew who was either med or dental bound worked very hard and succeeded. 

ANY science major at York is rigorous (can’t speak for psychology though - I didn’t have any friends from that faculty). Everyone I knew was either in biology, biomed, chem etc and they worked their as*** off because that’s what you HAVE to do if you’re premed, regardless of your university. York is perhaps not up to par in terms of revolutionary research, but again, it all depends on you. I found a wonderful lab for my undergrad thesis that taught me more than arguably any other lab ever could because of the workload and the scope of experiments. I still managed to get a poster presentation out of it, if that matters. However, I personally think medical schools are beginning to value more holistic experiences as well.

It’s not where you go, it’s what you do with it. 

I, along with many of my classmates who are currently in professional school, are the living proof of that. 

On 8/9/2019 at 10:24 PM, KinderSurprise said:

I graduated from York (Biology program) and about to start my first year of medical school (Ottawa U). It’s definitely one of those things where it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy rather than anything based on any tangible fact. Some may argue its “easier” to get a higher GPA simply because York doesn’t have A- but every single person I knew who was either med or dental bound worked very hard and succeeded. 

ANY science major at York is rigorous (can’t speak for psychology though - I didn’t have any friends from that faculty). Everyone I knew was either in biology, biomed, chem etc and they worked their as*** off because that’s what you HAVE to do if you’re premed, regardless of your university. York is perhaps not up to par in terms of revolutionary research, but again, it all depends on you. I found a wonderful lab for my undergrad thesis that taught me more than arguably any other lab ever could because of the workload and the scope of experiments. I still managed to get a poster presentation out of it, if that matters. However, I personally think medical schools are beginning to value more holistic experiences as well.

It’s not where you go, it’s what you do with it. 

I, along with many of my classmates who are currently in professional school, are the living proof of that. 

Love it #YorkLions B)