Premed 101 Forums

Residency in the States after Completing in Canada

7 hours ago, The Ace of Spades said:

Definitely possible to apply for fellowships after residency, i.e. Gastroenterology in USA after Internal Medicine in Canada, but I think most residency positions in the 1st match are restricted to those without prior residency training (like in Canada).

Not true. You can apply for another residency in the 1st match.

2 hours ago, DermJuly2018PGY1 said:

Not true. You can apply for another residency in the 1st match.

That's what I am hearing. Do you know what steps would be required for that? Regular USMGs only have Step 1 by the time they apply. Would it be the same requirement for post-graduate trainees/staff from Canada? Or would it be good to have all the Steps done?

1 minute ago, The Ace of Spades said:

I meant 1st round.

You can apply again in the 1st round.

Just now, heydere said:

That's what I am hearing. Do you know what steps would be required for that? Regular USMGs only have Step 1 by the time they apply. Would it be the same requirement for post-graduate trainees/staff from Canada? Or would it be good to have all the Steps done?

Write your Steps: you need step 1 and 2. You will need step 3 if you want a visa. Do some electives in the US, and get some LORs from US physicians. Apply and cross your fingers.

If in doubt regarding a certain program, e-mail or call their coordinator.

20 minutes ago, DermJuly2018PGY1 said:

You can apply again in the 1st round.

As far as I am aware, you are incorrect. Please refer to: http://www.carms.ca/en/residency/r-1/.

The R-1 Main Residency Match (R-1 match) for entry level postgraduate positions is CaRMS’ largest match. It encompasses all 17 Canadian medical schools and is offered in two iterations each year. The first iteration includes all graduating students and prior year graduates from Canada and the US who meet the basic eligibility criteria and have no prior postgraduate training in Canada or the US. It is also open to graduates from international medical schools (IMGs) who meet the basic criteria and have no prior postgraduate training in Canada or the US.

The second iteration includes positions and applicants not matched in the first iteration, as well as applicants with previous Canadian or US postgraduate training and other applicants who did not participate in the first iteration.

You are restricted to apply in the second round, where the available positions are drastically reduced and competition is fierce.

5 hours ago, The Ace of Spades said:

As far as I am aware, you are incorrect. Please refer to: http://www.carms.ca/en/residency/r-1/.

You are restricted to apply in the second round, where the available positions are drastically reduced and competition is fierce.

That is correct for CaRMS, but not for NRMP. OP asked about the States.

You can apply to NRMP first round.

Archived