Premed 101 Forums

Anybody else feel like this?

Does anybody else who wasn't successful this cycle feel like they have no chance? I only applied to 2 schools, but I was rejected pre-interview to both and now I keep overthinking every little thing and I can't help but feel like as soon as I send in my app, it is already DOA to the medical schools for whatever reason. 

It's getting pretty bad, I achieved a 4.0 GPA for two consecutive years, had a solid plan to rewrite the MCAT this summer, and work really hard on my apps but I keep psyching myself out with stuff that are virtually nonexistant. For example, I feel like I've emailed some med faculties so many questions that I convinced myself they put my name on a "do not admit" list because of something I said/how often I email them and they'll somehow distribute concerns about the emails to all the other med faculties. 

Anybody have any tips to get over feeling this way? :( 

Which two schools did you apply to? and what are your MCAT/ECs like?

I'm pretty young/unexperienced, and I don't know if this will help, but here are my own thoughts on this: people in general are not attracted to anxiety. This is prevalent in all facets of society but one of the most prominent areas is applying for a competitive position. Although being qualified for a position is essential, believing you're qualified for a position is important too (or at persuading others you are) is important too.

Luckily, you have the qualified part down! 4.0 GPA really good, even higher than most accepted medical students I believe. You're already in a better spot than lots of applicants. The other things you're worried about (apps and MCAT) can be challenging, but there are ways to get around it. For example, you could ask other pre-meds or med students about your application and MCAT studying schedule to get affirmation. You can also ask this forum and resources like reddit.com/r/MCAT—they helped me a ton.

Regarding the emails to med school faculties, I doubt put you on a blacklist for asking a ton of questions but I don't think you should always go to them for questions you have. Try asking the sub-forums on this page for faculty specific questions, they'll probably be able to help.

So all in all, remember you have lots of people you can reach out to and ask for help, and remember that faking confidence is a big part of this. No one will let you be their doctor if they don't believe you'll be a good one. 

6 minutes ago, premed176 said:

Which two schools did you apply to? and what are your MCAT/ECs like?

I'm pretty young/unexperienced, and I don't know if this will help, but here are my own thoughts on this: people in general are not attracted to anxiety. This is prevalent in all facets of society but one of the most prominent areas is applying for a competitive position. Although being qualified for a position is essential, believing you're qualified for a position is important too (or at persuading others you are) is important too.

Luckily, you have the qualified part down! 4.0 GPA really good, even higher than most accepted medical students I believe. You're already in a better spot than lots of applicants. The other things you're worried about (apps and MCAT) can be challenging, but there are ways to get around it. For example, you could ask other pre-meds or med students about your application and MCAT studying schedule to get affirmation. You can also ask this forum and resources like reddit.com/r/MCAT—they helped me a ton.

Regarding the emails to med school faculties, I doubt put you on a blacklist for asking a ton of questions but I don't think you should always go to them for questions you have. Try asking the sub-forums on this page for faculty specific questions, they'll probably be able to help.

So all in all, remember you have lots of people you can reach out to and ask for help, and remember that faking confidence is a big part of this. No one will let you be their doctor if they don't believe you'll be a good one. 

Thanks for your response. I applied to Ottawa and McMaster. I had a 126 CARS, and 1 pub, 3 years volunteering with local literacy organization, 1 conference, 2 years working with housing organization in a leadership position and some retail jobs.

Yeah, I never let my anxiety or paranoia show to most people. I only talk about it with very close friends and family, and I guess this anonymous forum. I have never had a problem with interviews, interactions and have done well to sell myself for positions, but I can't shake off the "after feeling" if that makes sense. 

I only ask questions that I can't find answers for anywhere online, and in retrospect, maybe I don't email that much but it's really easy for me to inflate the effect.

It's 100% something I need to work on, and I don't think it affects my actual chances at getting in, but it certainly affects my perception of them.

Thanks again, I appreciate it.

It's very common to start doubting yourself once you find how just how competitive the rest of the applicants are compared to everyone around you. Most successful applicants do receive a couple pre-interview rejections and so this doesn't mean you're unqualified- you might've had an unlucky cycle with your 2 applications (apply widely next time if you can to maximize your chances), where it just didn't click with the reviewer, but also this often means you have room to improve. If those schools gave you any feedback, take it to heart and work on your areas of weakness! The good news is that your GPA is solid and will stay with you for many cycles. Now you can focus on improving ECs etc, which are relatively easier to accumulate (and more fun than grades). Being cutoff from applying due to lower GPA is hard to overcome, but you've got that in your pocket now and the sky is the limit on how many non-academic activities you want to pursue. Review tips on the forum on how to write your application in a way that highlights the wanted skills.

In regards to emailing, I had that fear as I bothered the admins more than I wanted- I was super neurotic! But no I was not blacklisted haha. It is their job (although you shouldn't try to make it too difficult) and they are not the ones deciding on who gets admitted (unless there was some critical professional issue I imagine)

4 minutes ago, Eudaimonia said:

It's very common to start doubting yourself once you find how just how competitive the rest of the applicants are compared to everyone around you. Most successful applicants do receive a couple pre-interview rejections and so this doesn't mean you're unqualified- you might've had an unlucky cycle with your 2 applications (apply widely next time if you can to maximize your chances), where it just didn't click with the reviewer, but also this often means you have room to improve. If those schools gave you any feedback, take it to heart and work on your areas of weakness! The good news is that your GPA is solid and will stay with you for many cycles. Now you can focus on improving ECs etc, which are relatively easier to accumulate (and more fun than grades). Being cutoff from applying due to lower GPA is hard to overcome, but you've got that in your pocket now and the sky is the limit on how many non-academic activities you want to pursue. Review tips on the forum on how to write your application in a way that highlights the wanted skills.

In regards to emailing, I had that fear as I bothered the admins more than I wanted- I was super neurotic! But no I was not blacklisted haha. It is their job (although you shouldn't try to make it too difficult) and they are not the ones deciding on who gets admitted (unless there was some critical professional issue I imagine)

Thanks a lot. I appreciate you taking the time to write that out-- it definitely helps to hear that. I will surely be applying more broadly this upcoming cycle!

Haha, yeah, I try to show my appreciation as much as I can in those emails, but it's hard not to be neurotic sometimes! 

Your CARS score is holding you back at several schools, including Queen's, Mac, Western and some OOP schools. So I would focus on acing the MCAT first before pursuing any more ECs. Spend a whole summer and get at least 129 on CARS, which is very doable and you are in a very good spot. 

In regards to your anxiety, I think it's best do not overthink the admission process. The stats and how your application is evaluated are all very transparent at many schools. Like many others have said here, GPA/MCAT is king when it come to Canadian med school admissions. Right now all you need is a better MCAT (CARS) score and you'll be completely fine. 

4 minutes ago, iFlayx said:

Your CARS score is holding you back at several schools, including Queen's, Mac, Western and some OOP schools. So I would focus on acing the MCAT first before pursuing any more ECs. Spend a whole summer and get at least 129 on CARS, which is very doable and you are in a very good spot. 

In regards to your anxiety, I think it's best do not overthink the admission process. The stats and how your application is evaluated are all very transparent at many schools. Like many others have said here, GPA/MCAT is king when it come to Canadian med school admissions. Right now all you need is a better MCAT (CARS) score and you'll be completely fine. 

Not queens, I have 126. Agree with Mac and western though. GPA is amazing so keep working on ECS, MCAT, and making a well written ABS. Apply broadly.

Archived