Premed 101 Forums

UofA wait list position

Hi, I sent an email to the Occupational Therapy Faculty at the UofA that asked them to disclose my relative position on the wait list (i.e.: in the top 50% or after). Their was response was "You are in the upper half of the waitlist. Should a seat open up you will be contacted by email."

I was wondering if anyone knows whether being in the 'upper half' means I am positioned between 1-50 or 50-100. Initially I thought it meant I am closer to the top of the list (so 1-50), but now I'm just overthinking and would like some input from someone else. 

I can see why that language is a little confusing lol. I think that by upper half that means you’re positioned closer to the top of the list (1-50).

This is how Western describes their waitlist, which might be similar to UofA: “our wait list consists of 104 applicants and is divided into thirds (upper 1-42, middle 43-75, and lower 76-104)

But if you’re still not sure you should email them!

5 hours ago, churros31 said:

I can see why that language is a little confusing lol. I think that by upper half that means you’re positioned closer to the top of the list (1-50).

This is how Western describes their waitlist, which might be similar to UofA: “our wait list consists of 104 applicants and is divided into thirds (upper 1-42, middle 43-75, and lower 76-104)

But if you’re still not sure you should email them!

Im in the upper third so i guess thats good to hear! Do you know where your going to accept churros? 

On 5/25/2018 at 3:13 PM, hopefulOT124 said:

Hi, I sent an email to the Occupational Therapy Faculty at the UofA that asked them to disclose my relative position on the wait list (i.e.: in the top 50% or after). Their was response was "You are in the upper half of the waitlist. Should a seat open up you will be contacted by email."

I was wondering if anyone knows whether being in the 'upper half' means I am positioned between 1-50 or 50-100. Initially I thought it meant I am closer to the top of the list (so 1-50), but now I'm just overthinking and would like some input from someone else. 

I went through this exact same “overthinking” but I am in the lower half. If it makes you feel better, I do think that “upper” means closer to spot #1. Hopefully a spot opens up for you! 

On 5/25/2018 at 4:13 PM, hopefulOT124 said:

Hi!

So I sent an email to the OT program to and I asked for my position as well. I clarified, asking if upper half means 1-49 and lower half means 49-100. They've replied saying that I'm in the upper half as well, so you are closer to the #1 spot!  

Hope that helps! 

On 5/25/2018 at 4:13 PM, hopefulOT124 said:

Hey! I hope you don't mind me asking but did you email the admissions team through the portal or the general OT faculty email? I emailed the admissions team through the portal last week but haven't gotten a response maybe I will try emailing the general OT faculty address

9 hours ago, hastilyhastingsOT said:

Hey! I hope you don't mind me asking but did you email the admissions team through the portal or the general OT faculty email? I emailed the admissions team through the portal last week but haven't gotten a response maybe I will try emailing the general OT faculty address

Hey, I emailed mscot@ualberta.ca - I also emailed this same address on May 25 (4 days ago from today) asking them a question and I also haven't gotten a response back yet. I'm thinking they are probably very busy dealing with a bunch of questions and admissions right now. 

However, I have also previously called the faculty (+1 780 492 2499) asking them a couple questions regarding the wait list and they have answered! So i would recommend calling them if you haven't already. The office closes at 4PM on Monday-Friday! 

On 5/29/2018 at 10:14 PM, hopefulOT124 said:

Hey, I emailed mscot@ualberta.ca - I also emailed this same address on May 25 (4 days ago from today) asking them a question and I also haven't gotten a response back yet. I'm thinking they are probably very busy dealing with a bunch of questions and admissions right now. 

However, I have also previously called the faculty (+1 780 492 2499) asking them a couple questions regarding the wait list and they have answered! So i would recommend calling them if you haven't already. The office closes at 4PM on Monday-Friday! 

Thanks for your response! I was able to get into contact with them through email and got all my questions answered :) Best of luck to you! 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, has anyone tried calling the Faculty to see when the wait list will start moving?

I called a couple of weeks ago and was told that they were at full capacity, but I'm not sure if they have started to review applications again as I have seen a couple people saying they are rejecting their offer from the UofA so I'm assuming there has to be some movement eventually.. its just a matter of when they will review all the applications again. 

Not sure if this is helpful or not but there were people accepted up until the day classes began last year. The girl accepted came down for the first week and then moved the next weekend. Stressful but I'm sure she would say worth it. 

Good luck you guys! Hope you hear sooner rather than later 

Hey everyone! So I called the Faculty today and I asked when people on the wait list are expected to start hearing back and the lady on the phone told me that the lady who is in charge of all the admissions stuff is actually away until July 9 and so offers will be sent out to people on the wait list after she is back! So we shouldn't be expecting any emails until after that date! 

Archived