Premed 101 Forums

Weird Question

Hi everyone, 

Am I at a disadvantage if I always ask the MD admissions office at U of T for help? I email them a lot and they could probably match my name with my face as I go there a lot for drop-in hours as well. I'm worried if I said something stupid in the office and if it will create a negative image of me when I apply...Or what if they remember me as the guy who's all over the place and uncertain when he came and talk to us...I don't want this to be my first impression especially if I get an interview. Should I continue to ask them for help??? They are very helpful but I embarrass myself a lot :(

Lol am I over-thinking things?  How do you get over these negative thoughts? 

Thanks for reading this. :)I really want to share and see what others think!

2 hours ago, tigershroff said:

Hi everyone, 

Am I at a disadvantage if I always ask the MD admissions office at U of T for help? I email them a lot and they could probably match my name with my face as I go there a lot for drop-in hours as well. I'm worried if I said something stupid in the office and if it will create a negative image of me when I apply...Or what if they remember me as the guy who's all over the place and uncertain when he came and talk to us...I don't want this to be my first impression especially if I get an interview. Should I continue to ask them for help??? They are very helpful but I embarrass myself a lot :(

Lol am I over-thinking things?  How do you get over these negative thoughts? 

Thanks for reading this. :)I really want to share and see what others think!

Getting over the negative thoughts does not have a simple answer. But one thing to think about is that the admissions office probably recognizes what a daunting goal applying to medical school must seem to premeds and that nervousness is normal. If you're getting really nervous when you go in there it might be helpful to inquire as to why? Anxiety, nervousness and insecurity are all totally normal. Another suggestion is that I highly recommend finding a counselor you click with to help you work on those things, we could all use one and I personally have found counseling to be invaluable. We can be really hard on ourselves as premeds and that doesn't always serve us well. In fact there's evidence that shows that being compassionate and kind to yourself actually helps you do better.

Here's a really great article that talks about why:
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/22/smarter-living/why-you-should-stop-being-so-hard-on-yourself.html

Archived