Jump to content
Premed 101 Forums
Sign in to follow this  
nosm_d

Help! No MCAT spots in my area. Need advice

Recommended Posts

Hey guys,

I am in need of advice. I was just about to book my exam for the end of August. I have a strict study schedule and I will not be ready before mid-August. 

I feel like a huge idiot- all the spots are already filled in my area. I thought I was booking far enough in advance. For various reasons I am unable to travel to an exam centre out of town.

If I write at the end of September, what is the likelihood of my evaluation being ready by October 1st (in time for me to submit my apps)? What do you think is the likelihood of someone switching their exam date closer to the time? Should I hold off and check the AAMC website daily?

Here I was thinking I was so organized and on schedule... ugh.

Thank-you for any advice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello! So this happens to more people than you would realize. 

Each school has a cutoff date about when you can write for the score to still be in on time. I think this is generally a couple weeks ahead of time if not more, but call your schools of interest to double check - they'll know the cutoff! 

You have the option of writing elsewhere, if the travel cost isn't an issue. If it is, religiously check the test dates in your area. It is likely someone will cancel or switch dates and a seat will open up. This is not guaranteed, of course, but happens in many larger areas, so it depends on part on where you write. 

You still have time to play with so you should be able to find something! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You'd need to check each school's last MCAT date requirements on their websites, I think Dalhousie and maybe Alberta (?? not sure) might need an MCAT written earlier than September if you're thinking of applying to those schools. Same with OMSAS when the cycle opens, but in previous years your MCAT would be alright as long as your scores are released by November 1st.

People do drop/rearrange their exam dates closer to the date, you just need to be diligent and keep checking every day haha. If money isn't too tight, you could just book an MCAT date in September in your town and then switch dates (and pay whatever the fee is) when you see an opening on the website

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, SunAndMoon said:

People will cancel - check often.

If you were me, would you wait and hope for an August spot (the more ideal option for various reasons)... or book a late September spot right now?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, nosm_d said:

If you were me, would you wait and hope for an August spot (the more ideal option for various reasons)... or book a late September spot right now?

Check the difference in price between a new booking made in short notice and a reschedule. Those gold/bronze periods. Worst case book a September date in case nothing opens up, you can still apply to Ontario schools if you really won't be ready ahead of your preferred date 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, nosm_d said:

If you were me, would you wait and hope for an August spot (the more ideal option for various reasons)... or book a late September spot right now?

If money isn't a serious issue, I'd book a September spot and pay the rescheduling fee should a better option arise! I've done that where I took it :) Where are you btw? Have you looked at nearby cities?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, AM22476 said:

Hello! So this happens to more people than you would realize. 

Each school has a cutoff date about when you can write for the score to still be in on time. I think this is generally a couple weeks ahead of time if not more, but call your schools of interest to double check - they'll know the cutoff! 

You have the option of writing elsewhere, if the travel cost isn't an issue. If it is, religiously check the test dates in your area. It is likely someone will cancel or switch dates and a seat will open up. This is not guaranteed, of course, but happens in many larger areas, so it depends on part on where you write. 

You still have time to play with so you should be able to find something! 

Thank-you so much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, SunAndMoon said:

If money isn't a serious issue, I'd book a September spot and pay the rescheduling fee should a better option arise! I've done that where I took it :) Where are you btw? Have you looked at nearby cities?

I am in London. For various reasons I am unable to go elsewhere. I am still wondering if I should hold off and keep my fingers crossed that someone gives up an August spot 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...