Premed 101 Forums
ninja7292

Common/Must-have study guides in med? Step 1?

After hours of browning r/medicalschool, I realize I have no idea what I would need for Mac. I was wondering if it is common for students to use UWorld, First Aid, Pathoma, Sketchy____, etc. 

Also, how commonly do Mac med students write Step 1?

A lot of people talk about writing it in first year, probably on the order of 10-25 people. It isn't very common for med students to write the Step 1 though, usually only a few people a year actually write it. It is hard to write the Step 1 coming from a 3 year program, especially one that doesn't teach basic sciences at all.

If you want to prepare for McMaster, I would recommend an anatomy textbook. Anatomy is one of those subjects that you don't really need any background to learn, but once you know it, it helps you orient you to the physiology and pathology you do learn in medical school. It is also a subject area which McMaster doesn't prepare you as well in. 

If you already did anatomy and want to prep, I would recommend getting First Aid Step 1. The reason is just to give you an idea of what material US med students are studying. UWorld is far too advanced for someone who hasn't done medical school. Pathoma might be useful or Sketchy or anything you find yourself interested in. A lot of what is the best resource depends on what your background is and your learning style. It is difficult to recommend any one resource for all comers. 

If you are going to McMaster and have your sights set on a competitive specialty or you just want to excel/be extra competitive, then you should do some prep during your summer. My reasoning is, your summer is pretty long and spending some time pre-reading will make your time in medical school easier. It isn't for everyone though, if you are a work hard play hard type or you aren't trying to gun for a competitive specialty/location then enjoy your summer! 

If McMaster doesn't teach basic sciences, what the heck goes down at the Large Group sessions (every Monday and Friday morning)? So are you saying there is no lectures on Microbiology/Pathology/Anatomy/Physiology/etc.?

Do you have a certain anatomy textbook in mind?

Does First Aid Step 1 change from year to year or is it pretty standard? I.e. if I get the 2018 one, can I reuse it if I actually wind up writing Step 1? (Not having any time off school or summers to study for it really sucks ugh

I def will try to get some pre-reading done and see how far I get with it

4 hours ago, ninja7292 said:

If McMaster doesn't teach basic sciences, what the heck goes down at the Large Group sessions (every Monday and Friday morning)? So are you saying there is no lectures on Microbiology/Pathology/Anatomy/Physiology/etc.?

Does First Aid Step 1 change from year to year or is it pretty standard? I.e. if I get the 2018 one, can I reuse it if I actually wind up writing Step 1? (Not having any time off school or summers to study for it really sucks ugh

There is one lecture that quickly goes over a bit of basic anatomy physiology. Generally, there usually are a few physiology lectures after that, a couple of clinical lectures (pathophys + clinically oriented) etc. There aren't any dedicated anatomy, microbiology lectures. We usually get a radiology lecture but no pathology (i.e. looking at slides or learning about various stains) kind of lectures. LGS at Mac aren't where the bulk of the learning is done, we don't get many lectures a week, some weeks as little as 3 hours some as much as 6. There are online lectures that cover more topics on medportal (the elearning system). 

i.e. - you aren't going to learn what india ink stain does (cryptococcus neoformans), which is something that is on the Step 1 but is not clinical relevant at all. 

On 6/1/2018 at 3:46 PM, ninja7292 said:

Just noticed you had other questions.

If you have no background in anatomy, Gray's Anatomy for Students is a pretty good textbook because it has pictures but also text which explains the pictures and has some clinical correlates as well which are often common pimping questions even into clerkship. 

If you have done some anatomy in undergrad, Netter's Atlas of Human Anatomy is a great book. It is just the pictures but they are very good quality and better for those interested in surgery/dissection courses. 

First Aid Step 1 doesn't change much from year to year, I believe anything from 2014 onwards has been very good quality.