Premed 101 Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ms. Chip Skylark

Thoughts on Kaplan DAT prep?

I know in the past Kaplan has been meh for DAT prep, however, they recently revamped their entire course after hearing feedback from many people so now it is much better and more reflective of the actual DAT.  The PAT used to be very useless for Kaplan, but with the new course it is much better, and the new course also has much more practice questions. 

i bought their 2017 book for the DAT and I found that the chem section was way more detailed than necessary compared to other tried-and-true study materials. PAT and reading comp was pretty ok though. I ended up using other resources for the majority of my studying. 

5 hours ago, chingp said:

i bought their 2017 book for the DAT and I found that the chem section was way more detailed than necessary compared to other tried-and-true study materials. PAT and reading comp was pretty ok though. I ended up using other resources for the majority of my studying. 

What other resources did you use?

1 hour ago, Ms. Chip Skylark said:

What other resources did you use?

Used Chad's videos for gen chem review. Cliffnotes AP Bio + feralis notes (can be found online) for gen bio review. Dat destroyer for grinding out chem and bio questions. Dat bootcamp for daily PAT + Reading comp + overall timed testing. Edit: Though the datbootcamp PAT and reading comp is electronic vs canadian dat's paper based versions so maybe kaplan would be better for those (?). 

I used only the Kaplan DAT book and it basically worked well for me. PAT section was a bit on the "easy" side compared to the actual exam especially the angles section. The same for RC. The sciences were good.

On 5/30/2018 at 1:18 AM, chingp said:

Used Chad's videos for gen chem review. Cliffnotes AP Bio + feralis notes (can be found online) for gen bio review. Dat destroyer for grinding out chem and bio questions. Dat bootcamp for daily PAT + Reading comp + overall timed testing. Edit: Though the datbootcamp PAT and reading comp is electronic vs canadian dat's paper based versions so maybe kaplan would be better for those (?). 

I don't know about Kaplan but I used DATCrusher for the PAT section since their generators allow you to generate and print PAT questions in the same format as the CDA manual/Canadian DAT. This was gold since it helped me get a 24PAT and was definitely more useful than the Bootcamp generators.

@Ms. Chip Skylark I personally scored 26AA and 24PAT without any prep courses, in fact, no one I know really used any prep courses. It honestly really comes down to how you prepare and the effort you put. To give you some perspective how I studied, I went over Chad's videos once, the Kaplan book twice, and all of my notes several times. If you're taking the November DAT, I would recommend start studying now and you should be fine :)

6 hours ago, Starburst said:

I don't know about Kaplan but I used DATCrusher for the PAT section since their generators allow you to generate and print PAT questions in the same format as the CDA manual/Canadian DAT. This was gold since it helped me get a 24PAT and was definitely more useful than the Bootcamp generators.

@Ms. Chip Skylark I personally scored 26AA and 24PAT without any prep courses, in fact, no one I know really used any prep courses. It honestly really comes down to how you prepare and the effort you put. To give you some perspective how I studied, I went over Chad's videos once, the Kaplan book twice, and all of my notes several times. If you're taking the November DAT, I would recommend start studying now and you should be fine :)

yeah nobody I knew did the prep courses either. Though I can see them being helpful if you REALLY need someone to push you to study and structure your studying for you. but damn those are some crazy scores congrats haha