Premed 101 Forums

Chance me PLEASE!

I just finished up my third year at university, and plan on applying for this upcoming cycle. I am taking the MCAT later in the summer.

OMSAS GPA breakdown:

1st Year: 3.2

2nd Year: 3.79

3rd Year: 3.9

cGPA: 3.65

2 yr GPA: 3.845

EC's Breakdown:

Research Assistant for 2 years. 2 publications in progress, currently working on first author publication (goal is to publish by april 2019)

Lab Assistant in Psychology lab for 1 year (ongoing) - 100+ hours

Mentor for Syrian kid for 1 year (ongoing) - 150+ hours

Volunteer work with ASD youth at CAMH, but only for ~3 months at time of application

Founded and ran Boxing Club at university - 1 year (ongoing)

Practicing Muay Thai for 1 year, and plan on having my first amateur fight in September

Bank Teller - 250+ hours, but only over 4 months at time of application 

I also plan on taking some field courses starting in september 2018, where I get to be placed in hospitals/clinics/places in the community and volunteer for course credit. Should I add these to my application, even if I'll only have 1 month of experience? Also, where would I place the experience gained from these kinds of courses on a med school application? because im not really volunteering; im getting "paid" in course credits.

I know the only schools I have a chance in because of my GPA is Western, Queens, and Mac. I am worried about my short-term commitments in my EC's, and my 2 yr GPA is only barely competitive, so I wouldn't say it makes up for my EC's. What do you guys think? Would a good MCAT score that meets all cutoffs put me in a good position for these three schools? 

Thanks!

Your biggest barrier is your GPA. Don't be surprised if you have to wait another year for a very high 4th year GPA to contribute to your application or do a 5th year to increase your GPA. Don't know the cutoffs for those schools of by heart, but your cGPA is a bit low for Mac.

ECs look slightly above average to good (again limited by the fact everything is very short term. On the plus side, if you have to wait another year or 2 because of your GPA, that issue will self correct with time.

As you said MCAT will decide where you can apply this year. Go from there.

Thank you for the response! Yeah I always thought my ecs were short. I think the focus of my application this cycle will be my work with the syrian refugee and my Muay Thai training (e.g. how I used that passion to start a club, brought affordable training to students, etc.). But like you said hopefully I can set myself up for a much better application next cycle when I have a higher gpa and longer commitments 

21 minutes ago, DrPharaoh said:

So you made an account just to say that? Thanks for the input though. 

With a very strong MCAT, I think you’ll have a chance. If not this year, then surely next year when you can include a higher 4th year GPA into the calculation. 

There are always people out there that will be negative and give you unconstructive feedback. Don’t take it to heart. Believe in yourself, don’t give up, and you’ll succeed. 

Good luck on the MCAT :)

https://mdprogram.mcmaster.ca/md-program-admissions/how-we-select/selecting-our-students

I'm not going to Mac but their process is the easiest to understand so we can go off that. As you can see, GPA matters but only 1/3 for pre-interview; if your CASPer and MCAT are good enough, you're competitive for an interview, so to get an interview you don't even need ECs. Then if you snag an interview, GPA matters even less. ECs will matter here a bit in terms of general life experience to bring up during interview answers, but again it's not like there's a concrete list of stuff to assess

In general - and this is my limited experience from a few US and Canadian schools - GPA gets your foot through the door but is not the be all end all. If you demonstrate other qualities that can bring you to the interview stage, you're pretty much as competitive as any other applicant. Again n=1 

Thank you both for your valuable input! I'm sure I have a chance with a great MCAT score, but I should obviously prepare myself for a possible rejection because of my gpa and short commitments. I will keep my head up and put my best foot forward. And @Butterfly_ , thank you for the kind words. I didn't take that person's comment to heart as they seemed to make that account just to troll (the account was 7 minutes old shortly after they left the comment). Anyways, I'm always open to all feedback, even the harsh ones!

Hey :),

I actually think you have a decent shot this year if your MCAT goes well! ( With Toronto dropping your lowest 6 courses, queens taking most recent 2 years, and western only wants 2 yrs above 3.7, etc.)

so as long as your MCAT goes well, you will be a strong applicant for this year :) make sure when you are talking or writing about your ECs really think about why you did them and if you enjoyed them, how and why did you feel that way. It really helps to show a genuine side to yourself and you can only do that by reflecting on your experiences

Hope this was of some help

Thanks @swanson ! I'm actually not legible for Torontos wGPA. But yeah I'll talk about my work with children and in mma, which are two things I genuinely enjoy. My focus on ecs in the coming year will probably be just expanding on that, and maybe even combining the two (volunteer to teach kids mma maybe?). Also i think one thing I learned from lurking on this forum for years is to always pursue something you'll enjoy, and that's why I'm dedicating so much of my time to training for my amateur fight. There's so much to talk about if the interviewers ask about my amateur fight. Hopefully it pays off.

• 1 month later...

If your fourth year GPA is good, you'll be competitive for Ottawa in the next cycle. The wGPA can be between 3.91-3.93, so look out for that. For this cycle, aim for 515+ for Queens, 129+ for Western & Mac.

Riggidyrekt just gave you some really poor, uninformed advice. <--- "Harsh but true"

It will really come down to your MCAT result  to unlock opportunities for Ontario schools.   See how you do and then decide if you can apply this cycle.   A +129 CARs could open up Western and maybe a MAC application (with current cGPA).

Are you booked to write this summer ?    Suggest write it by mid-Aug such that you will have your marks back before needing to submit applications.

Otherwise it may be wait a year and include stellar 4th year marks to help bring up your GPA.

On 7/18/2018 at 1:03 PM, Potentiate said:

If your fourth year GPA is good, you'll be competitive for Ottawa in the next cycle. The wGPA can be between 3.91-3.93, so look out for that. For this cycle, aim for 515+ for Queens, 129+ for Western & Mac.

Riggidyrekt just gave you some really poor, uninformed advice. <--- "Harsh but true"

3.6 is a bit lower than 3.9 "Harsh but true"
Source: am med student, also can do basic math

6 hours ago, riggidyrekt said:

Am also Med student, 2 yr gpa seems good enough for queens so chances not basically 0 lol. All bout day MCAT and ECs now.

6 hours ago, riggidyrekt said:

Sad to see a med student spread false information (or just unable to do basic math?). “Harsh but...” I’ll let you finish that one off. 

Ottawa only looks at your past three years. Thus, there is potential for OP to have a 3.9+ wGPA after next year. 

Keep things civilized here - be constructive by all means and we don't have to be either overall optimistic or pessimistic (neither are useful).  

I have seen people get into medical school with a lot worse stats than that. The MCAT will be important with here for sure - it for one thing gives a complete package which then can be assessed.

Archived