Premed 101 Forums

Any chance for interviews?

I am looking to apply next cycle and was wondering if anyone with similar stats could speak of getting an interview (particularly at Toronto)? I realize that some graduate students have received interviews and offers with similar stats and am curious if any undergraduate students have received the same.

GPA: 3.85 for Toronto; 87% for UWO

DAT (AA/RC/PAT): 21/21/21

Currently entering 4th year UG

Also, I'm currently taking a summer english course, which may ultimately carry my Toronto GPA down a bit (likely a 3.83) if I can't pull a 4.0. Would it be wiser just to drop the course to stay at 3.85? Any input is appreciated! 

English wasn't my best subject either so I know how you feel :/

Try converting your GPA to OMSAS and then see what it would be at. https://www.ouac.on.ca/guide/omsas-conversion-table/

If you think you can get anything above ~83% which would translate to a 3.9, then go for it!! However, if you don't need other humanities credit to graduate, don't take it. You don't specifically need an English credit as a prereq. for UofT or UWO.

Kinda hard to say about your chances. To me it seems borderline as an undergrad student. GPA is okay DAT is okay. Nothing seems "stellar" about either one. If your DAT is amazing or GPA is amazing or both then I could say you have a decent shot, but right now not really. If, however, you did a Masters then you would have a decent shot but that would mean spending an extra 2 years.

Also English was a nightmare for me. I took it in 4th year and ended with a 66%. RIP.

But anyway don't take my word 100% I could very well be wrong. It's just my own speculation.

• 1 month later...
On 7/25/2018 at 4:06 PM, orgolover said:

Can someone tell me how this is even possible? You need minimum 3.85 just to be even consider for an interview.

3.85 is the average GPA for applicants who received interviews, meaning there are people with GPA's likely above and below this number. I had one pretty bad grade that took my GPA down quite a bit but clearly they took that into account. 

• 4 months later...
On 7/25/2018 at 4:43 PM, Futur3 said:

I had a much worse DAT and similar average and was accepted at Schulich just this year. However my CV was strong and was likely the deciding factor. All in all, don’t let people on these forums get you down, give it your all. 

How would you categorize my CV? (strong, okay, weak)
-100 hrs shadowing
-1 summer working in dental office (365 hrs)
-1 summer wet research, one dry (no pubs)
-1 summer working in ice cream shop
-2 terms as TA in computing (going on third)
-President of fundraising club for children with CHD (3years)
        -started a conference for club
-part of 2 other clubs for 2 years then stopped
-1 term volunteering at community centre dental program for those on welfare
-hobbies: escape rooms, weight lifting, charcoal drawing

• 1 month later...
11 hours ago, Futur3 said:

I'd say it's a strong CV. However, keep in mind that they not only wanna see that you have all these experiences, but how they shape you. What makes you, you? And why should we pick you? I've seen many applicants with stellar CV bomb the interview not due to interview skills but because they simply had nothing to talk about other than academics/research. Make sure you come across a genuine human being and someone with a life outside of school/work/research, etc -- it'll go a long way. Good luck. :)

Thanks for the feedback. How relaxed is the interview? I think my personality comes out well in a relaxed conversational interview about my experiences. However, a more grilling interview involving why questions (ie. why dentistry, why western, etc.) where I feel like I have something to prove is definitely hard for me.

Archived