Premed 101 Forums

Alberta GPA calculation

12 minutes ago, clever_smart_boy_like_me said:

Hey, I've browsed the forum here for UoA but can't seem to find anything that details how to calculate my gpa? I saw one poster mention that both A and A+ are = 4.0 but other than that, do I assume it is like other schools with +/- (ex: A- = 3.7, B = 3.0, etc...)

They have a couple different ways they calculate it depending on your circumstances. When you open an application with them it will give you the details in the online forms for which one(s) apply to you. I ended up having like a 2yr GPA type situation.

3 hours ago, clever_smart_boy_like_me said:

Do you have to pay to open an app? I am retaking mcat (CARS 1 point under cutoff) but if I dont achieve this I wont be able to apply anyway. 

Unfortunately, you will have to pay if you want the school to calculate your GPA for you. I highly recommend that you read the application manual because it tells you exactly the formula that they use to calculate your GPA.

4 hours ago, clever_smart_boy_like_me said:

Hey, I've browsed the forum here for UoA but can't seem to find anything that details how to calculate my gpa? I saw one poster mention that both A and A+ are = 4.0 but other than that, do I assume it is like other schools with +/- (ex: A- = 3.7, B = 3.0, etc...)

Yes, that's correct A+/A = 4.0 , A- =3.7...etc. I believe the U of C manual also has additional information in terms of how they calculate GPA in AB. They will only drop your lowest year.

13 hours ago, Dr. End Poverty said:

Unfortunately, you will have to pay if you want the school to calculate your GPA for you. I highly recommend that you read the application manual because it tells you exactly the formula that they use to calculate your GPA.

I believe you are referring to Calgary's application manual? UofA doesn't really have one. 

This is from the Ualberta Admission website:

"To calculate cGPA, we include all transferable post-secondary coursework to which a grade was assigned while the student was enrolled full-time (by UofA definition) in a term. For those students who have completed three or more years of transferable post-secondary coursework, we will exclude the lowest academic year (September through April) from calculation, provided it is not the most recent year, nor the only year in which the student earned 30 ucw."

Full-time is three courses per term (Fall and Winter). You can remove a bad year if you have three or more years of coursework.

• 2 months later...
On 5/31/2018 at 11:25 AM, joojoobe said:

This is from the Ualberta Admission website:

"To calculate cGPA, we include all transferable post-secondary coursework to which a grade was assigned while the student was enrolled full-time (by UofA definition) in a term. For those students who have completed three or more years of transferable post-secondary coursework, we will exclude the lowest academic year (September through April) from calculation, provided it is not the most recent year, nor the only year in which the student earned 30 ucw."

Full-time is three courses per term (Fall and Winter). You can remove a bad year if you have three or more years of coursework.

My worst year is one with 28 credits. I have two full course load years (33 and 30 credits in 3rd and 4th year). 

Can I still remove the year with 28 credits?

Archived