Premed 101 Forums

Transferring residencies

Hello,

I am about to start residency in July, and I'm considering trying to transfer to another residency program (my first-choice specialty when I did CaRMS this year). I matched to my second-choice specialty in the first iteration and I am suspecting I might not be 100% fulfilled in it. It's going to be a 5-year to 5-year program transfer. 

My question is, the first year of the program I'm going into doesn't have any elective time. Should I be reaching out to the PD of the program that I want and asking to do some call/shifts in that specialty then? And if I did that, wouldn't I be obligated to let my current PD know?

I considered emailing the postgrad Dean and asking them about how to proceed, but I also don't know if it seems too eager and that reflects poorly on me to contact them before the 6-months mark? I mean I do genuinely want to give my current specialty a try, just that with my first year not having any electives, I feel like I am forced to and I HAVE to start letting people know my intentions right away. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! 

Archived