Premed 101 Forums

Second Year Bird Courses

I'm also interested in Physics 2070 - Earth's Atmosphere.

Any opinions??

I took Earth's atmosphere 4 years ago...

first year it was offered....

It's not bad.... and it's not the easiest course in the world.... mind you at the time I took it, my study habits were a lot worse than they are today...

So I imagine most high-achievers would not find it that hard.... and it wasn't the most boring course in the world either. It's only loosely physics.... more designed towards a non science student.

As for the geo course... I didn't even realize there was an optional text.... so unless the course has changed since I took it... I really don't think it would be necessary.

Classics of sport and antiquity was easier but not the most interesting in my opinion... and I was in kin.... haha I should love sports.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was wondering if anyone knew the difference between comp sci 1032 and comp sci 1033? I've been hearing for the past year that theres this really easy (90+) comp sci and I registered for 1032....but now I'm getting confused as to which one was the "easy one"?....1032 is taught by goldstein btw....

I was wondering if anyone knew the difference between comp sci 1032 and comp sci 1033? I've been hearing for the past year that theres this really easy (90+) comp sci and I registered for 1032....but now I'm getting confused as to which one was the "easy one"?....1032 is taught by goldstein btw....

I took 1032. Its based on excel, access, powerpoint etc. The course is based 30% on assignments and 70% on exams. The assignments are a free 30% because you do them with your friends and change a few things so they are not the same. They are marked by the TAs and sometimes they can be very picky so make sure you follow the rubric. Many people from MOS take this course as it is more business oriented i guess. The exams are somewhat tricky especially the excel unit. Also, the teacher was a b*tch and made one of the midterms the day after Halloween. Going to class is a waste of time as she literally reads the slides in a monotone voice. However, on the exams she asked a question about a movie that was played in class. So if you can just ask one of your friends about the movie you should be fine (it was nothing major since the question on the exam was something like who made the film). Also, I would recommend not getting the spiral bound textbook for this course. Its a waste of money and is just for learning excel, access etc - all of which can be found on the internet in much better tutorials. The exams also consist of readings from another textbook all of which are MC questions. THe other half of the exams are based on the programs you use and this part is very tricky. Personally I found this class to be tough for exams but the assignments were easy. If you are looking for a bird course, consider this one but also look elsewhere.

The other comp sci is photoshopped based and supposed to be very easy. I haven't taken it so I cant give you that much advice about it.

I'm also interested in Physics 2070 - Earth's Atmosphere.

Any opinions??

Take this course! I took it a year ago and you basically have to memorize three lectures for each test. Two midterms and a final, all 33% each. ONE lecture per week... The material is interesting and not very difficult. Mind you there are only about 20 - 25 questions each so you have to be accurate, but if you want a low work load this is it...

The same goes with Going Faster, Farther, the one about sports physics. Both courses are done by Prof Sica and both are excellent.

Thanks for the info dreamer. How important are the supplementary readings from the textbook when it comes to the exams? Can you just rely on lecture material?

They weren't a whole lot important, he always emphasized that they were just to help you understand concepts that might not have been clear in class. There are some review questions in there that would help a bit.

Also, using a tape recorder really helped (just remember to ask him first), as there were literally only about 3 lectures per test so you could just listen to everything to review a day or two before. Sometimes the slides have like nothing but a picture of the sun or something lol.

• 2 weeks later...
They weren't a whole lot important, he always emphasized that they were just to help you understand concepts that might not have been clear in class. There are some review questions in there that would help a bit.

Also, using a tape recorder really helped (just remember to ask him first), as there were literally only about 3 lectures per test so you could just listen to everything to review a day or two before. Sometimes the slides have like nothing but a picture of the sun or something lol.

Yea, Sica isn't the best prof when it comes to clarity, but his courses require so little work you'll forget you even have it. You gotta listen to recordings or go over the notes well to pick up details that he may test you on.

• 1 month later...

I see there are a bunch of Psychs you can take in 2nd yr w/o prereqs... anyone care to comment? I'm looking at swapping a half-credit next semester for one. Btw, the ones I'm looking at are...

The Human Mind, Human Adjustment, Psych. Aspects of Life Skills, Social Psychology.

They all sound straightforward enough, but I guess experience trumps theory in this case? Thanks!

I see there are a bunch of Psychs you can take in 2nd yr w/o prereqs... anyone care to comment? I'm looking at swapping a half-credit next semester for one. Btw, the ones I'm looking at are...

The Human Mind, Human Adjustment, Psych. Aspects of Life Skills, Social Psychology.

They all sound straightforward enough, but I guess experience trumps theory in this case? Thanks!

Human Adjustment I heard was a good and interesting course, but I don't know how easy or hard it was to get grades in the 90's. Social Psychology (which is offered this winter) on the other hand was interesting, very straightforward and taught by an excellent prof (Olson). It's always a good idea to check out the course evaluations (google "course evaluations uwo") and ratemyprof.com but you'll see that students generally do well in his class. The lectures mirror the textbook very closely. Use the textbook resources, pay attention to the videos in class and DVD, memorize the experiments and you should do well!

On the other hand, Psych Aspects of Lifeskills is offered online and I have heard it was easy which might be an option. But Social Psych is just once a week at night anyways...

HS2000: critical debates in health sciences

no midterm

2 hour night classes. There's more time spent discussing than actual lecturing.

25% of marks come from participation either in class or on web ct

2 assignments 20% each, and you get two nights off class to work on them.

Final 35%

VERY chill class atmosphere.

A lot of 4th nursing students who seem to 'know it all' =/

• 2 months later...

Hi currently in HS 3rd year and need a couple easier course to boost up my mark next sem.

any opinions on

Psychology 2036A/B - The Psychology of Physical Health and Illness

Psychology 2043A/B - Exceptional Children: Developmental Disorders

or BIO2001b genetics in everyday life?

or any suggestions? thanks

Hi currently in HS 3rd year and need a couple easier course to boost up my mark next sem.

any opinions on

Psychology 2036A/B - The Psychology of Physical Health and Illness

Psychology 2043A/B - Exceptional Children: Developmental Disorders

or BIO2001b genetics in everyday life?

or any suggestions? thanks

Just took 2043A with Goldberg and it was pretty easy. 2 tests (50/50) and non-cumulative final. I just did the regular stuff (go to class/take notes/studied probably the least of my 5 courses) and came out with an A+.

Many of the psych students were a little overwhelmed at the start of the second half when we covered genetic predispositions and some light physiology for hearing/visual/cognitive disorders... so if you've got any sort of background in that stuff you're set.

Any recommendations on HS courses?

What else did you take this recent semester superman?

Psych 2220 - Basically neuroscience. I have a background in Bio so I did well but it was a ton of work, probably the class I had to study most for. I wouldn't recommend this class to anyone looking for an easy mark. You can definitely get the high grades with work, but even with a biology background such as my own, it was a lot of work. That being said I very much enjoyed the class, it was probably my favourite of the semester.

Psych 2410 - Child Dev - I'd say this class was average. The lab paper (observational study) and the lab presentation make for a lot of extra work for relatively smaller marks (like 15% each?). The presentations are group based. Everyone I spoke to from my lab section did "poorly" (much worse than they expected, all were <80) on the presentation and I think its a combination of the TA and people getting docked marks for being stuck with ****ty partners.

Health Sci 1001A - Your average intro course. Don't smoke or drink, exercise more, eat healthy, profit.

Psych 2800 - Research Methods - The lecture is pretty average. If you do the work you'll get a high grade. The lab (which is 50%) can be made or broken by your TA. Either way, by no means an easy A+.

How about you/anyone else?

2301 clinical was pretty dry, well really dry but there is an extra 5% bonus mark for participation in easy experiments and an A+ is doable.

2035 was easy material but the tests were tricky. Should have hit over 90 but I underestimated it I guess.

any other recommendations? and should I save the bird courses for third and fourth year to boost my mark then?

Just took 2043A with Goldberg and it was pretty easy. 2 tests (50/50) and non-cumulative final. I just did the regular stuff (go to class/take notes/studied probably the least of my 5 courses) and came out with an A+.

Many of the psych students were a little overwhelmed at the start of the second half when we covered genetic predispositions and some light physiology for hearing/visual/cognitive disorders... so if you've got any sort of background in that stuff you're set.

Any recommendations on HS courses?

Thanks I am taking the online ones, so not sure if it is taught by the same prof. Not sure about HS courses, most of them are restricted to HS students only. Anybody took greek and roman medicine? still looking for 0.5 credit.

http://www.uwo.ca/classics/undergraduate/undergrad_courses/CS_2903B_2010-2011.pdf

Thanks I am taking the online ones, so not sure if it is taught by the same prof. Not sure about HS courses, most of them are restricted to HS students only. Anybody took greek and roman medicine? still looking for 0.5 credit.

http://www.uwo.ca/classics/undergraduate/undergrad_courses/CS_2903B_2010-2011.pdf

I took it and had the same prof as listed on that syllabus.

I thought the course was really interesting, but the teaching and examination styles are not typical. There are key terms written on the board at the beginning of each lecture and the prof stands at the front of the room and teaches by way of passages from ancient medical texts. Exams were entirely written (combination of definitions, short answers and essay questions -- you were expected to be able to make reference to specific passages). If I recall correctly, you had the option of picking 5 of 7 definitions, 3 of 4 short answers and 1 of 2 essays, for the typical midterm. We also had a pretty good idea of what was going to be examined going into the test.

The course is far from a walk in the park, but if you think you'll have an interest in the subject matter, it is possible to get an A+.

Hey all, I've been reading up on the suggested courses above and appreciate the feedback from the seniors but I was wondering, if anyone can give their feedbacks on these courses?

Psychology 2020B - Drugs and Behaviour

It's taught by Professor Hinson and so far, it doesn't look too overburdening but I heard his exam T/F Questions are really messed up so I am a little paranoid.

Psychology 2301B - Introduction to Clinical Psychology

It's taught by Professor Frewen, I am really interested in Clinical Psychology and thinking of pursueing it in med or grad school but found the materials from introduction lecture really, really dry. And I heard the professor comes with quite challenging exams but again, 5% bonus to final grade is tempting.

Psychology 2115B - Introduction to Sensation and perception

It's taught by Professor Lomber, I didn't hear anything good or bad about this course, but it's a mandatory course for me to take sooner or later. Any opinions?

Psychology 2990B - Application of Psychology

It's taught by Professor Hazelwood, I am not taking this course right now but again, I am really interested in this course cause I am curious how my module in Psychology can get me future potential jobs but it's time schedule is conflicted with Clinical Psychology course so I am in quite a difficult decision to take whether Psych 2301B or Psych 2990B this term.

Thanks again in advance for taking your time in reading my questions and hopefully providing your feedbacks or opinions. Thank you!

Hey all, I've been reading up on the suggested courses above and appreciate the feedback from the seniors but I was wondering, if anyone can give their feedbacks on these courses?

Psychology 2020B - Drugs and Behaviour

It's taught by Professor Hinson and so far, it doesn't look too overburdening but I heard his exam T/F Questions are really messed up so I am a little paranoid.

Psychology 2301B - Introduction to Clinical Psychology

It's taught by Professor Frewen, I am really interested in Clinical Psychology and thinking of pursueing it in med or grad school but found the materials from introduction lecture really, really dry. And I heard the professor comes with quite challenging exams but again, 5% bonus to final grade is tempting.

Psychology 2115B - Introduction to Sensation and perception

It's taught by Professor Lomber, I didn't hear anything good or bad about this course, but it's a mandatory course for me to take sooner or later. Any opinions?

Psychology 2990B - Application of Psychology

It's taught by Professor Hazelwood, I am not taking this course right now but again, I am really interested in this course cause I am curious how my module in Psychology can get me future potential jobs but it's time schedule is conflicted with Clinical Psychology course so I am in quite a difficult decision to take whether Psych 2301B or Psych 2990B this term.

Thanks again in advance for taking your time in reading my questions and hopefully providing your feedbacks or opinions. Thank you!

I had Hazelwood for 2035 life aspecst a fluffy course yet I did better in 2301 cause he makes the test questions tricky. 2301 is dry but if you work the material you can do well.

2020 I was interested until I heard that each wrong test answers gives you -.33 marks. Plus heard prof is not that great.

Archived