Premed 101 Forums

Premed Guide To Canadian Med Schools

As a former premed, I recall sorting out the details and understanding the requirements of different faculties to be a little daunting/intimidating, particularly if coming from a non-traditional background.  I've created a two page guide outlining on: page 1 - relative importance/weight and range for  (GPA, EC, MCAT); page 2 - details concerning GPA calculations, course loads, second degree policies, summer courses, grad policies, etc..  

I've been on premed for some time and notice the same questions come up often, so hopefully the guide will help orient people.  A number more details could be added, but this may give a first step in understanding where one's chances are.   

I haven't included Manitoba, Memorial, NOSM, Saskatchewan, or the francophone Quebec schools, since either I'm not familiar with their policies or they don't tend to admit many out of province or general profile students.  

The guide is only a first step and doesn't have all details - check the websites, contact the schools, etc.. for final clarifications.  

Clearly, page 1 is a little subjective, but it seems to be the range that I have observed or seen stats for typical admitted students.  

Finally, as far as I know the information is accurate, but if there are disagreements or inaccuracies, please let me know.  

I hope this will prove useful to you as you begin or continue your journey.  I received useful advice and found good info here, so hopefully this will help you.  Good luck!  

EDIT: Updated June 5, 2016 (with UOttawa MCAT)

MetaPremedvJune2016.pdf

Thanks for putting something like this together.

Some things you can add if you're looking to update this:

N/A ECs for Western isn't speculation since they don't require you to fill in ABS descriptions or have verifiers (they require the titles of the activities, as does Mac). Interviews are closed file.

Some info on Sask: MCAT (higher), GPA (3.7+), ECs (N/A).

Thanks for putting something like this together.

Some things you can add if you're looking to update this:

N/A ECs for Western isn't speculation since they don't require you to fill in ABS descriptions or have verifiers (they require the titles of the activities, as does Mac). Interviews are closed file.

Some info on Sask: MCAT (higher), GPA (3.7+), ECs (N/A).

Done - I didn't add the distinction IP/OOP though.  I also updated for McGill optional MCAT policy.

EDIT: Please see previous post for latest version.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for putting this together! I was going to do something similar for graduate students, but I see you have already included that.

I just want to point out one thing. If you have a conferred PhD (masters degrees or PhDs in progress do NOT count) you can be considered IP for BC. This was a very big deal for me and was the only reason I was accepted. For my fellow PhDs, UBC is definitely a school you should apply to!!

Also if you want to update this, UBC now no longer requires pre-reqs for this upcoming cycle.

No science pre-reqs, but still English ..

Thanks for putting this together! I was going to do something similar for graduate students, but I see you have already included that.

I just want to point out one thing. If you have a conferred PhD (masters degrees or PhDs in progress do NOT count) you can be considered IP for BC. This was a very big deal for me and was the only reason I was accepted. For my fellow PhDs, UBC is definitely a school you should apply to!!

Good point! 

Due to Ottawa's addition of the MCAT, I have updated the guide (see original post).  I'm speculating that it's going to be considered only slightly (or even as a UofT like checkmark) at this stage, given Ottawa's historical tendency for GPA focus.  I can't see any evidence that Ottawa has ever used the MCAT in the past.  

Maybe I'm off, but I think UC's minimum course load is 8 courses/yr (September-April)

I wonder if Ottawa will also require the MCAT for french stream  :mellow:

It's broken down to 4 courses/semester, but that's what it would be for the year.  Co-op students would look per semester, but would have to check individual websites for policies. 

At the moment, Ottawa is asking the MCAT for the french stream see for discussion -

http://forums.premed101.com/index.php?/topic/90889-uottawa-now-requires-mcat/.  

OMG, it's like the first ever french (bilingual-ish) program in the world to require a standardized English language test. That's kind of groundbreaking... I think  :D

Yeah - it honestly doesn't make a lot of sense.  Already, the GPA requirements are different for both streams and they are apparently separate in implementation, so why ask the French stream applicants to write the test?  If anything, it will just simply further disadvantage the applicants for whom the franco stream is really necessary (i.e. who have difficulties in English), but are still strong students.  The English stream applicants could apply to the French stream if they so desired, if they really didn't want to write the test, but would have to overcome the language hurdle.  Since franco Ontarians have had adversity in the past, and Ottawa in particular has a number of francophones, I think the move of testing towards the French stream is misguided.     

It's broken down to 4 courses/semester, but that's what it would be for the year.  Co-op students would look per semester, but would have to check individual websites for policies. 

At the moment, Ottawa is asking the MCAT for the french stream see for discussion -

http://forums.premed101.com/index.php?/topic/90889-uottawa-now-requires-mcat/.  

So the Calgary AO confirmed it's specifically a minimum 4 co/sem, just like you said, which comes up to 8 co /yr... I guess that makes 5 co + 3 co years inadmissible 

So the Calgary AO confirmed it's specifically a minimum 4 co/sem, just like you said, which comes up to 8 co /yr... I guess that makes 5 co + 3 co years inadmissible 

That's too bad - is it possible they didn't fully understand your question?  I just framed things in terms of semesters - it's not an official guide from the universities.  

Archived