Premed 101 Forums

Hi all, so I saw a similar post on the SDN forums and I was just wondering if we can start one here. 

If you can go back in time and if you can do it all over again, What would you have done differently as an Undergrad and Why?

Do you have any regrets that you wish you did/didn't do? 

Please give it a shot! :)

I wish I hadn't been overconfident in the first semester of my second year. It ended up coinciding with me getting very sick and with some very important, very time-consuming life things that conflicted with the amount of school work I set myself up with.

I also wish I hadn't taken as many ochem/calculus/Chem courses that I ended up not needing for my degree. Probably would've taken more anthropology or languages with those spots :P

Otherwise, I feel like I did well with what I actually wanted to do. I traveled, I took care of myself, I got really into a sport and music. So yeah, mostly satisfied!

I would have liked to have taken a slightly different (but related) major that was closer to my current research interests. But that major would have made it more challenging to fit in all the prerequisites for medicine, which is why I went the route I did. Overall, then, there isn't much I would have done differently in undergrad.

I would have been more firm with my supervisor about having a project that I was interested in. I am clinically oriented in research and somehow ended up on the one project in my lab that is pure basic science with no real-world applications. 

Also, I would have been more responsible in managing my school life balance. For me it seems like it was one or the other and I haven't mastered that balance yet (though I have gotten significantly better)

I would have realized that in my first few years of University I was unwinding a long knot of trouble from when I was younger. I wish I could have taken the time then to look into myself and figure out (right then) who I was and what I wanted. Instead (like many) I took the long path there.

A lot of wasted time answering questions in a very round about way that really closed a lot of doors for me. I'm lucky to be where I am now. That being said, if the result would have been different, and if I wouldn't be who I am now, then I wouldn't change a damn thing.

Archived