Jump to content
Premed 101 Forums

capnamerica

Members
  • Content Count

    99
  • Joined

  • Last visited

About capnamerica

  • Rank
    Member

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. Do you have any insight into the barriers OMFS face getting hospital privileges? I wonder if there's just institutional resistance (ie. politics) as opposed to a lack in qualifications.
  2. Looking to transfer to UWO as a D2, although we didn't take Pathology in D1 at my current school. For any of you having experience with this, do you think UWO won't consider my application as a result of this? I know people from Nova have transferred into D2 at UWO and to my knowledge, Nova doesn't teach pharmacology during D1, so how did those transfers from Nova bridge that gap in their knowledge in order to satisfy the adcoms at UWO?
  3. Now that you have experience in both dentistry and medicine, what are your thoughts about the two fields with respect to usefulness of the skills acquired in each field, personal fulfillment, employment prospects, income potential, etc.? Do you feel as though you should have went to medical school instead dental school? I ask because I've been concurrently accepted to dental and medical school, and am deliberating as to which of the two professions I should enter. Hope residency is treating you well!
  4. Isn't all this contingent on which specialty you're applying for?
  5. Don't be afraid to still apply if you have a high GPA and DAT (3.9+, 22+). You can still get interviews and get in.
  6. I would recommend this as well, albeit only if the OP enjoys surgery. As he/she is contemplating a change from a highly surgically-oriented field to one that has broader non-surgical options, I doubt this is the case. From what I gleaned from the OP's post, he/she just isn't interested in focusing solely on the anatomical region of the oral cavity. The focus of OMS in my mind isn't too much broader, although OMS is definitely something worth exploring. Also bear in mind the academic requirements for OMS residencies, and determine whether or not you will be able to perform well enough in your d
  7. Although I am aware that Canadians receive a boost to their GPA when applying to the US, I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to say here, and I suppose I wasn't clear myself when I brought up the difference in GPA scales between the two countries. Yes, Canadians receive a boost when applying to the US. But, how is it incorrect to say that US entrance averages are systemically lower as a result of their grading scale, where an 80-89% results in a B? Unless the average Canadian applicant is scoring 90% or higher in the majority of their courses here, they would have received a B for
  8. I suppose perspective determines everything. I used to follow Dr. BadVibes posts back in the day, and if you asked me back then, I would have probably shared his opinions. Now, I'm not as sure... I think that people who get into both Canadian and US dental schools should make a well informed decision on where to attend if their intention is to specialize. Sure, if money is no object, then by all means, go wherever your heart desires. However, I doubt the majority of us are in this kind of situation. I'm also beginning to get the impression that different specialties stress different th
  9. I tried searching for this to no avail. Mind posting the link(s) to the thread(s) here when you get a chance? Thankss
  10. No, not all US specialty programs accept Canadian grads, but the majority do to my knowledge. As well (and I'm hoping Contach can chime in here), the main distinction is not between US vs Canadian grads but rather US citizens/permanent residents vs internationals. Ergo, a Canadian citizen (with no status in US) could attend a US school, although they would be ineligible to apply to 20% of the OMFS programs in the US that are only available to those with US status. This shouldn't deter you from applying to the other 80% of OMFS programs (if that is what you're interested in). This is also w
  11. I understand that the US has a lot more specialty positions available, but how does attending a US dental school over a Canadian one improve your chances of getting one of these positions?
  12. Why do you consider the US better for the purposes of specializing?
×
×
  • Create New...