Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'usdo'.
Hey, I'm finishing up my research based masters in Ontario and have applied to med three times and haven't gotten an interview. My stats are quite poor, but medicine is all I've ever wanted and I don't feel like I would be fulfilled if I tried every option at med. cGPA is around 3.1 but depending on wGPA it's ~3.6 . I have a huge upward trajectory in grades, but still didn't make Western or Queens' cutoff. MCAT is 508 (128/126/126/128). Have a 4.0 in my masters but I'm aware that usually doesn't count for much. I think my ECs are very strong- multiple leadership positions both in research and in extracurricular activities, volunteer time at a hospital, two pubs submitted for review to journals. My end goal is to practice FM or peds in Canada- doing residency here too would be ideal, but if I have to go abroad I'm not opposed to just continuing to do residency there. So far the options I've come up with are: 1) Apply to Ireland right now (a bit of a rush for my references but I might be able to do it) 2) Go back to school to take a year of prereq courses for US DO that I never took, then apply Ireland and US DO 3) Work for a year while I try to get EU citizenship (I hear this significantly reduces Ireland tuition) then apply Ireland 4) Give up and find another career path If I'm being honest- I hate the consequences of each of those options and I need to feel that I'm progressing towards my goal in some way. So please, if you've gone international to study medicine I would love to hear your opinion and what your experience has been like. Canadians tell me that applying outside of Canada is a death sentence in coming back, Irish students tell me it's the best place ever to study, Americans tell me I better stay in North America.. I really can't make up this decision and if I'm being honest, leaving my friends, family and SO is also quite scary to me, but I guess I'll do what I need to. Any opinions or advice would be great, thank you.
Hello everybody, I am a Canadian master's student from Ontario looking to apply to USMD/USDO. Here are my stats: cGPA: 3.55 (2 years in Engineering and then 2 years medical withdrawal, transferred into a Science program after that) sGPA: 3.60 MCAT: 522 Lizzym: ~75 Massive upward trend (I had a 3.0 during my Engineering undergrad, and a 4.0 in my last 2 years during my Science undergrad) ECs: multiple publications, 3 years research experience, posters, 300hrs+ volunteer experience, 2 years as a paid personal support worker at a hospital, overseas volunteering in undeserved communities and at a soup kitchen, varsity soccer in high school and cross country in uni, leadership roles in university (started some science-related clubs), etc. My list so far is: MD Albany Albert Einstein Boston Case Western Central Michigan Emory Geisel George Washington Georgetown Hawaii Kentucky Louisiana State Mayo Michigan State NYMC Rosalind Franklin Sidney Kimmel New York Upstate and Downstate Virginia Commonwealth William Beaumont Wayne State DO Michigan State UNECOM Western Touro Chicago COM That is what I have so far, but I feel I am being overly optimistic for some schools like Mayo. I would appreciate any insight as to what schools I should add or remove. Thanks in advance for your help!
Hey guys, I'm at a cross-road for where to go if I want to continue the dream of getting into med school. I really goofed up my first couple years leading to an ~3.4 GPA after 6 years (5 years of BioSci and 1 year Psyc minor). The last 2-3 years were decent with a respective 3.6, 3.96, 3.8 GPA. Unfortunately I can't seem to get over the MCAT hump having written 3 times with a 500, 501, and 502 scores. The last one (502) had a 126 in CARS so I decided to apply to UofC and UofA being from Alberta (although definitely not holding my breath). I have very good ECs including fluency in 3 languages, lots of travel experience, and varsity soccer for what it's worth. I've all but given up on the Canadian dream and deciding what my best shot is for med school with hopes of returning back after I'm done. The choice is between USDO, Australia, and Ireland and from the numerous threads I've read so far, it seems like Australia has the slight edge over the others due to the fact that they give MD degrees as well as residency if I am unable to match back to Canada. So I want to get some advice on what you have all found. I'm biased in that I don't want to travel a full day across the world to Australia especially if I'll need to make that commute several times for blocks in order to establish networks here for a possible return. This other thread made USDO sound equivalent to the Australia and Ireland IMG path but that sounds too good to be true. I feel there is bias against USDO degrees rather than USMD or degress from Ireland/Australia. I'd obviously love to stay within North America but I want to maximize my chances of matching. If it helps, I'm aiming for family medicine which is supposedly the least competitive anyways. TLDR: With a 3.4 cGPA and 502 MCAT, what would you do if you were me? USDO/AUS/IRE??? Thanks!