Premed 101 Forums

Moonlighting during fellowship?

Is moonlighting during fellowship a thing? Is it center-specific? Do you need special permissions/are there special stipulations like there are in residency?
OR, since your licensed by the Royal College, can you legally just set up a side-gig in the community in your free time?

If it matters, I'm interested in Neuro :).

8 hours ago, PhD2MD said:

Is moonlighting during fellowship a thing? Is it center-specific? Do you need special permissions/are there special stipulations like there are in residency?
OR, since your licensed by the Royal College, can you legally just set up a side-gig in the community in your free time?

If it matters, I'm interested in Neuro :).

as I understand it you can do that if you like - the program may frown on it because it takes you away from doing things within the fellowship - research, studying etc. I think those are to some degree legitimate concerns. I believe I actually have a number of friends doing it in a number of fields actually. You are a licensed doctor in that area after all. 

9 hours ago, rmorelan said:

as I understand it you can do that if you like - the program may frown on it because it takes you away from doing things within the fellowship - research, studying etc. I think those are to some degree legitimate concerns. I believe I actually have a number of friends doing it in a number of fields actually. You are a licensed doctor in that area after all. 

So 2 of the 19 years won't have as much opportunity cost haha. Good to know, thanks!

6 minutes ago, PhD2MD said:

So 2 of the 19 years won't have as much opportunity cost haha. Good to know, thanks!

ha, it would all be about balance - I mean your fellowship year(s) are primarily to advance you skills and extremely importantly to get the actual staff job (which makes the fellowship basically a year long job interview). You wouldn't want to jeopardize those two things. But if you can do something on the side and it fits - well more power to you :) 

• 1 month later...

Archived