Premed 101 Forums

Heart and Stroke BLS

So I signed up for the "BLS Provider" course offered by the Heart and Stroke, and I'm wondering if I signed up for the right one. The guy running it sent me 8 slides to study and told me it will take 3-4 hours. and the course was only $40.

I feel like this certification is coming from some guy/girl's basement.

Did you register via the Heart and Stroke website? I believe some BLS courses are indeed provided in a more private setting (including one's home) IF they are a certified instructor (which you can see on the H&S website). This occurs when they're limited spaces (I believe I saw one with a maximum of 6 people)  I believe 3 to 4 hours seems about right (most I've seen is 5). 

If you're truly concerned,  I would assume you can call the H&S and ask them if X course and the individual is valid. 

1 hour ago, Jfourn said:

So I signed up for the "BLS Provider" course offered by the Heart and Stroke, and I'm wondering if I signed up for the right one. The guy running it sent me 8 slides to study and told me it will take 3-4 hours. and the course was only $40.

I feel like this certification is coming from some guy/girl's basement.

Same, are you going to the one that is tomorrow evening (in Ottawa)? Either that or we have the same instructor

8 minutes ago, GITG said:

Wondering what the price variation is for? Mine is $80 for the same 3-4 hours course.

Does yours include the textbook/handbook? For mine we have to buy it from Heart & Stroke directly if we want to get it, instructor is not providing it. 

18 minutes ago, Executive-D said:

Does yours include the textbook/handbook? For mine we have to buy it from Heart & Stroke directly if we want to get it, instructor is not providing it. 

It does. So that might be why and also the location of the course. 

Hey,

Thought I'd chip in a bit here about my experience. Course was $40, handbook was $20.

There's a short 25 question "test" at the end of it and tbh, you really don't need the Handbook. 

A lot of the other people taking the course did not buy the book. 

But if you want the handbook for future reference, then by all means buy it. 

On 6/4/2018 at 11:51 AM, Executive-D said:

Same, are you going to the one that is tomorrow evening (in Ottawa)? Either that or we have the same instructor

I didn't know there was one tomorrow. Would of loved to do that instead of having it clog up my weekend. I'm going to the Saturday one (in Ottawa).

1 hour ago, Jfourn said:

I didn't know there was one tomorrow. Would of loved to do that instead of having it clog up my weekend. I'm going to the Saturday one (in Ottawa).

Ah too bad would have been great to meet you at the training! I totally agree with you about weekends, I am trying to enjoy each one over the summer that I can to the fullest...

Archived