Premed 101 Forums

Dawson or Vanier or Mariano to go McGill pre med?

Mary7713

I don't think it matters. Follow your gut. And this is a long marathon, not a sprint. My grades in Cegep were not high enough even to apply to med school then; it was the best thing that happened to me, caused me to become a serious and professional student in undergrad, where I matured and was ready for med school. I had a friend who had it all, top grades at Marianopolis, lots of meaningful ECs, great CV, and he bombed the interview, he was just not ready then. If I had it to do over, I would choose Dawson, but in the grand scheme of things, I don't think it matters regarding your chances.

Dawson: close to downtown, lots of restaurants, connected to the metro which is very convenient during the winter, huge diversity of students.

Vanier: Near Cote-Vertu, so good if you live in that area. Not as convenient as Dawson public transport-wise. 

Marianopolis: Very inconvenient public transport-wise. Lots of extracurricular activities and highly motivated individuals. Many end up attending top universities and programs, and so, it is a great place to start "networking" by building relationships that you can use in the future. 

Brébeuf is the french equivalent of Marianopolis, I recommend considering that option.

R score should be standardized so it should not matter where you go.

I loved Marianopolis. Motivated students, great teachers. I don't think Marianopolis increases your chance of getting into a top university, rather top students gravitate towards Marianopolis and thus they have a higher number of students in top universities. Marianopolis is hit or miss. If you're a top student, being among strong students will boost your R-score because you'll have stronger group strength and a smaller standard deviation. However, if you're middle of the pack it will be hard to get a great r-score and if you're below average your r-score will suffer. You might have a better chance getting a better r-score elsewhere. Hard part though is predicting which group you will end up in... I know students who excelled in high school, but didn't do as well in Cegep. Also, all the top students from high school go to Marianopolis, so inevitably a portion of those top students will no longer be top students at Marianopolis.

Public transport is not that inconvenient for Marianopolis. It's a 5-10min walk from Villa-Maria station

Really depends what you want. If you think you'll be ready to go into medicine via the Pre-Med route definitely try going to a CEGEP to get the highest R-SCORE aka not Marianopolis but rather Dawson or Vanier.  I did the Marianopolis route and loved who I met as individuals and life long friendships but trying to get into medicine via university is a hell of a lot harder than CEGEP (more spots dedicated to them via the GVT, more turnover (waitlist moves A LOT)! Good luck!

Hi,

Any body out there who went to McGill pre med from Dawson or Vanier? Do you know how many students from last or previous years made into McGill pre med? I heard  that from Marianopolis was 21 last year but I cannot find any stats for Dawson and Vanier. Thanks.

• 1 month later...
On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 12:03 PM, F508 said:

I loved Marianopolis. Motivated students, great teachers. I don't think Marianopolis increases your chance of getting into a top university, rather top students gravitate towards Marianopolis and thus they have a higher number of students in top universities. Marianopolis is hit or miss. If you're a top student, being among strong students will boost your R-score because you'll have stronger group strength and a smaller standard deviation. However, if you're middle of the pack it will be hard to get a great r-score and if you're below average your r-score will suffer. You might have a better chance getting a better r-score elsewhere. Hard part though is predicting which group you will end up in... I know students who excelled in high school, but didn't do as well in Cegep. Also, all the top students from high school go to Marianopolis, so inevitably a portion of those top students will no longer be top students at Marianopolis.

Public transport is not that inconvenient for Marianopolis. It's a 5-10min walk from Villa-Maria station

I totally agree ^.

Moreover, one should apply to ALL med schools from Cegep! This includes for UdeM, indicating you will got to TR. You don't have a clue where lightning will strike should you be a competitive cegepien applicant. 

• 1 year later...
On 5/10/2020 at 2:03 PM, JFA23 said:

I'm in secondary 4, and I want to know what grades do I need to go to Marianopolis in health science program . Thank you

just maintain a 85-90 average in high school and you should be fine! don't forget you also have the SN-chem-physics bonus!

• 10 months later...

Hi! I’m currently hesitating between Marianopolis and Dawson in health sciences. Which is better to have a good R-score? I’m in high school right now and had an overall average in the first term that was a bit higher than 95, but I know cegep will definitely bring my marks down.  I’ve heard very mixed feedback on both and really need clarification!

On 3/21/2021 at 9:00 PM, sallan said:

Hi! I’m currently hesitating between Marianopolis and Dawson in health sciences. Which is better to have a good R-score? I’m in high school right now and had an overall average in the first term that was a bit higher than 95, but I know cegep will definitely bring my marks down.  I’ve heard very mixed feedback on both and really need clarification!

Honestly, they're both great schools, so I really think you should go to the one which is more convenient for you (distance from home, tuition, etc). However, if you want my thoughts as a Mari student in regards to R Score, it can be quite hit-or-miss. Marianopolis has a strong IFG (indice de force de groupe) due to a lot of strong students attending it, so this can be beneficial to your R Score but only if you manage to stand out and keep your grades high (around 90+ for a 36+ R Score, 95+ if you want a 38+ R Score). It's do-able, but it's a lot of work; be prepared for that. Thankfully, you'll be surrounded by highly motivated students such as yourself, and, regardless of the misconceptions, we are, for the most part, a tight-knit community who help each other out. Feel free to DM me if you have any questions about Marianopolis or cegep in general. Best of luck!

Both are really good options and yield comparable R-Scores. When I applied to CEGEP, I was hesitating between both options and ultimately chose to go to Mari because I prefered its environment (I went to student for a day for both schools). I found the smaller class sizes at Mari to be much more engaging than the larger Dawson classes. Marianopolis definitely has some really motivated students which can be a blessing or a curse... 

Cegep will not necessarly bring your marks down (in my case, they actually went up by a lot!). CEGEP is very different from High School, and you will need to develop effective study techniques/time management skills to do well regardless of where you end up going. Good luck!

On 3/21/2021 at 9:00 PM, sallan said:

Hey there, so first off, what bbpremed said is like totally the case in Marianopolis and I cannot stress this enough. As a Mari student, I can say It is really make you or break you. The way r score is calculated for Mari students it’s by comparing your grade to the grade of every other student taking the same course that semester. So basically, when you make your schedule, if you manage to get a super easy grader, it helps a lot cause you have a head-start on everyone else and it doesn’t matter if YOUR class’ average is high, cause your compared with all the students anyways (and the other classes will have lower averages). And, also for some science courses, Mari offers the option to take enriched science courses (mandatory if your in Honours) and in enriched, you have extra material to learn that is rewarded as a bonus on your final exam (10% bonus which is huge, given final exams can count for like 1/2 your grade). Note: the bonus on final exam is only available for bio and physics courses, not math and chem, in case you were wondering, but you can still take the enriched class just no bonus. Obviously to get in enriched classes you need good grades ( high school grades for first semester and CEGEP grades for thé other 3 semesters). All of this to say, I feel that if you think you can do well at Mari even though it’s hard, then Mari will boost your rscore by A LOT. But if you do less well, it really hurts really bad. To give you some perspective, I was under the average for exactly 1 course for the 2 semesters that counted for my rscore (cause winter 2020 was cancelled). And I was under the average by 1% and that led to a 29 rscore for that course which basically destroyed me and made getting like a 38+ impossible. I did ace my other courses tho so my overall isn’t that bad. 
and yeah, we are a pretty tight community and all the rumours of how we’re overly competitive and we burn each other’s notebooks (well at least that’s what I heard at my high school) are NOT true. 
so I hope this gives you a sense of how Mari works. If you have any other questions, I’d be happy to help. Best of luck with the next 2 years!

• 1 year later...

Hey everyone! 

I got accepted in Vanier's Health Science program and was wondering if anyone could offer me advice or anything that I can do in order to maintain a high R-score.                    I would like to be able to go in McGill pre med. I am almost done with High School and I would greatly appreciate anything that I could start doing to prepare my journey in CEGEP.

Thank you so much. 

15 hours ago, Ashley7 said:

Hey everyone! 

I got accepted in Vanier's Health Science program and was wondering if anyone could offer me advice or anything that I can do in order to maintain a high R-score.                    I would like to be able to go in McGill pre med. I am almost done with High School and I would greatly appreciate anything that I could start doing to prepare my journey in CEGEP.

Thank you so much. 

PM me

23 hours ago, Ashley7 said:

Hey everyone! 

Thank you so much. 

You can inbox me as well

As a student who went at Vanier, I loved my experience. Personally, I was in Honours and it was the best decision I made. You're surrounded with great people, who are willing to help at all times with amazing teachers who care about you. Since your in a group with students that have high grades, your R Score tends to be boosted. I highly encourage everyone who wants to go to Vanier to apply to their Honours Science program!

• 6 months later...
On 3/21/2021 at 10:54 PM, bbpremed said:

Honestly, they're both great schools, so I really think you should go to the one which is more convenient for you (distance from home, tuition, etc). However, if you want my thoughts as a Mari student in regards to R Score, it can be quite hit-or-miss. Marianopolis has a strong IFG (indice de force de groupe) due to a lot of strong students attending it, so this can be beneficial to your R Score but only if you manage to stand out and keep your grades high (around 90+ for a 36+ R Score, 95+ if you want a 38+ R Score). It's do-able, but it's a lot of work; be prepared for that. Thankfully, you'll be surrounded by highly motivated students such as yourself, and, regardless of the misconceptions, we are, for the most part, a tight-knit community who help each other out. Feel free to DM me if you have any questions about Marianopolis or cegep in general. Best of luck!

Hi, I am also in the same situation as of now how can I reach out to you?