Premed 101 Forums

MSc eHealth? I'd appreciate any insight!

If anyone has experience with this degree, I'd really appreciate a private message! I have a relative who is trying to decide between this MSc and becoming a registered dietitian. Just trying to figure out what exactly this degree gets you? What are the specific jobs/tasks someone who goes through a degree like this undertakes? Are there clear/common career paths, or is it a "what you make of it" sort of degree?

I 've considering this degree along with the MSc global health degree few years ago  but decided to pursue the global health degree because it has better job prospects. If you have entrepreneurial spirit, then the e-health degree would be a good fit because it is what you make of it degree :). RD and e-health MSc are quite different, your relative has to be clear on what are their interests before they pursue any career option.

6 hours ago, maro.maro said:

I 've considering this degree along with the MSc global health degree few years ago  but decided to pursue the global health degree because it has better job prospects. If you have entrepreneurial spirit, then the e-health degree would be a good fit because it is what you make of it degree :). RD and e-health MSc are quite different, your relative has to be clear on what are their interests before they pursue any career option.

Relative is a little lost right now, and without knowing e-health really gets you, its hard for her to compare. I guess knowing is a "what you make of it" degree helps though. Thanks.

Any Info from alumni on what they actually ended up doing would be great!

E-health as in digital health?

I don't know much about this degree specifically, but my impression is that a masters in e-health is practically useless unless you already have significant clinical, engineering/bioengineering or management experience. Digital health (telemedicine, pattern recognition AI, etc.) is very clinical anyways, so a life science b.sc isn't going to cut it. 

For instance, you could be a medical advisor for a biotech startup, but if you don't have any "medical/clinical" experience and you don't know how the healthcare system works and how medical professionals "think", you won't be very helpful. I think in most cases, doctors who want to get involved in careers beyond the clinic do so without any formal "degrees", sometimes an MBA can be helpful. 

• 1 year later...

Hi @PhD2MD I was just accepted into this program - I'm wondering if you gained insight into the value of this degree beyond what is posted here. If you don't mind me asking did your relative end up pursuing this degree? If so, what line of work are they in now?

Thank you in advance :-) 

• 9 months later...

In case anyone is interested - I'm a graduate of the MSc ehealth program at Mac, I've written an article on career paths for ehealth here: https://blog.mingli.ca/career-paths-ehealth-digital-health-informatics/

Mac's ehealth is highly valuable in that it gives you 8 months of internship as part of its program. I felt this internship allowed me to get my foot in the door for the ehealth profession - I personally interned in the government at Ontario Health Digital Services division but others interned at UHN, Hamilton Health Sciences, Canadian Space Agency, etc. The MSc ehealth degree at Mac is well-recognized and well-respected in the field. I got multiple job offers before I even graduated and my MSc ehealth experience was a critical reason.