Premed 101 Forums

CaRMS 2018 Full Data Reports are out!

4 hours ago, OBoyMD said:

Wow, nobody does medical biochem, medical genetics or general pathology? why?

I'd love some insight into those specialities and whatnot

Bad job market + professionally limited for the first two. 

Terrible exam pass rate + lukewarm job market mostly limited to Western canada + professionally limited for gp.

3 hours ago, brady23 said:

I'm interested in the 10 who didn't get FM as their 1st choice (and the 25 who went unmatched).

If you are genuinely interested in FM (i.e not backing up), have a decent app with few red-flags, and apply widely, you WILL match. The 10 either had serious professionalism issues or did not apply widely enough.

I knew ppl from my school who only applied to programs in one city [1. FM, 2. IM, 3. Pathology etc] b/c of personal reasons.

1 minute ago, hamham said:

If you are genuinely interested in FM (i.e not backing up), have a decent app with few red-flags, and apply widely, you WILL match. The 10 either had serious professionalism issues or did not apply widely enough.

I knew ppl from my school who only applied to programs in one city [1. FM, 2. IM, 3. Pathology etc] b/c of personal reasons.

Thank you! By not applying widely enough, do you mean they only applied to Ontario schools? Also, if you apply broadly (to out of province schools), what's the importance of doing an elective on the west coast and east coast or is it okay to do your electives in province?  

31 minutes ago, brady23 said:

Thank you! By not applying widely enough, do you mean they only applied to Ontario schools? Also, if you apply broadly (to out of province schools), what's the importance of doing an elective on the west coast and east coast or is it okay to do your electives in province?  

Believe it or not. There are ppl who applied only to 2 schools (like UBC FM and Toronto FM), and then ultimately went unmatched (even though they interviewed at both). 

Apply to as many schools as you can. Programs are more flexible in terms of electives (they need not be done in every program you apply to).  

4 hours ago, hamham said:

That's what I did for personal reasons back in the day. I realized I was taking a chance and I could end up not matching, but it worked out fine.

7 hours ago, hamham said:

Believe it or not. There are ppl who applied only to 2 schools (like UBC FM and Toronto FM), and then ultimately went unmatched (even though they interviewed at both). 

Apply to as many schools as you can. Programs are more flexible in terms of electives (they need not be done in every program you apply to).  

One person in my year applied to a single family medicine program in a particular city. It was for a good reason actually - not everyone can move, and may only be interested in family medicine. Risky of course - but people have a wide range of life circumstances in medicine :)

There’s really never any reason to be restrictive in the application stage. You can rank whatever you want and decline interviews if you feel strongly. But never ever apply narrowly because the system is not friendly to second chances. 

14 hours ago, brady23 said:

I think for family medicine, as it is not competitive (unless you aim for UBC urban FM+ Toronto Urban FM programs alone) for CMGs, if you do broad range of electives (not restricted to FM per say, but sth like peds, ER, obs-gyn, ,etc). Doing electives in your home province should suffice. But if you want to do your FM residency in west coast, I would encourage you to do at least 1 elective in West Coast to show your interest. 

On 6/30/2018 at 7:26 PM, brady23 said:

I'm interested in the 10 who didn't get FM as their 1st choice (and the 25 who went unmatched).

I had a severe manic episode years ago, my transcript and professionalism flag show as such. My interview performance was likely sub par given my very noticeable verbal fluency issues following ECT. My faculty was non-supportive in the extreme in dealing with this, I had 6 weeks family medicine electives applied to literally every English language FM program and got 2 interviews total first round. I have since left medicine and have turned to programming as a means to support myself. 

Moral of the story lawyer up the second you have an enemy in the faculty, and roll with the punches life throws at you. 

13 hours ago, 2018hopeful said:

I had a severe manic episode years ago, my transcript and professionalism flag show as such. My interview performance was likely sub par given my very noticeable verbal fluency issues following ECT. My faculty was non-supportive in the extreme in dealing with this, I had 6 weeks family medicine electives applied to literally every English language FM program and got 2 interviews total first round. I have since left medicine and have turned to programming as a means to support myself. 

Moral of the story lawyer up the second you have an enemy in the faculty, and roll with the punches life throws at you. 

Aw I'm so sorry! I hope there is a way the faculty can help students in these types of situations, it doesn't seem right to abandon you in a time like this!

On 6/29/2018 at 7:18 PM, GrouchoMarx said:

Bad job market + professionally limited for the first two. 

Terrible exam pass rate + lukewarm job market mostly limited to Western canada + professionally limited for gp.

As someone interested in genetics, I am naturally really worried about the job market post-residency. I've heard many conflicting opinions about it, as some geneticists have said the demand far exceeds supply right now, and that trend will only increase in the future, while I've also seen comments like yours that make me concerned. Do you have any thoughts on this? Do you describe the job market as bad because it is pretty much limited to major cities only right now? It seems to me like although the field is small, since there are so few new geneticists graduating each year it shouldn't be too hard to find a job- but as a med student I can't speak to this with confidence at this point.

2 hours ago, rosetta123 said:

As someone interested in genetics, I am naturally really worried about the job market post-residency. I've heard many conflicting opinions about it, as some geneticists have said the demand far exceeds supply right now, and that trend will only increase in the future, while I've also seen comments like yours that make me concerned. Do you have any thoughts on this? Do you describe the job market as bad because it is pretty much limited to major cities only right now? It seems to me like although the field is small, since there are so few new geneticists graduating each year it shouldn't be too hard to find a job- but as a med student I can't speak to this with confidence at this point.

Lab fields are limited to what the govt is willing to fund. High demand does not translate to increased supply. Similar to the OR time situation in surgery

54 minutes ago, GrouchoMarx said:

Lab fields are limited to what the govt is willing to fund. High demand does not translate to increased supply. Similar to the OR time situation in surgery

At least in Canada where public funding tends to disconnect the public's demand from physicians' supply.

Archived