Premed 101 Forums

Low GPA (3.6) - should I even apply?

aman

Hi guys! 

I'm new to this sub, and just wondering if a wGPA of 3.6 will even be looked at by any of the Canadian Med schools? I'm a resident of ontario.

I just finished 3rd year, and planning to do my MCAT soon but probably will take a gap year to work on my ECs. I do have one more year to pull my grades up a bit, but not sure by how much. I've had 2 research jobs with 2-3 expected publications, will this help with my application?

I know my biggest obstacle is my GPA at the moment (assuming I'll do well on the MCAT), is there anyway to beef up my application so that my GPA is essentially less important? 

Lots to unpack here; if we break down your GPA is it any better? Best two years?

Have you taken 5 courses per semester for each year?

Knowing those two things will help answer this post. Also it is rarely worth it to take a full year off to focus solely onEC's.

41 minutes ago, OBoyMD said:

Lots to unpack here; if we break down your GPA is it any better? Best two years?

Have you taken 5 courses per semester for each year?

Knowing those two things will help answer this post. Also it is rarely worth it to take a full year off to focus solely onEC's.

Hi sorry, I should've given additional details. 

My 2YGPA is 3.6 (2nd and 3rd year) - I got mostly As, but was dragged down by 4 B+, a C+ and a terrible C-. My cGPA is lower than that, possibly around ~3.3, so it won't be very helpful. Yes, I had a full course load with 5 courses/term, and also labs that counted as separate 'courses', each weighing half a full course. I didn't do well in first year, but:

First year: cGPA = 3.0

Second year: cGPA = 3.7

Third year: cGPA = 3.7

Because of my GPA I haven't decided if I should apply for this coming matriculation, so I may be taking the gap year. I probably will be working and volunteering if I do decide on the gap year and hopefully apply again. Would doing a master's help as an EC, or possibly other suggestions to tidy up my application? 

8 hours ago, aman said:

Hi sorry, I should've given additional details. 

My 2YGPA is 3.6 (2nd and 3rd year) - I got mostly As, but was dragged down by 4 B+, a C+ and a terrible C-. My cGPA is lower than that, possibly around ~3.3, so it won't be very helpful. Yes, I had a full course load with 5 courses/term, and also labs that counted as separate 'courses', each weighing half a full course. I didn't do well in first year, but:

First year: cGPA = 3.0

Second year: cGPA = 3.7

Third year: cGPA = 3.7

Because of my GPA I haven't decided if I should apply for this coming matriculation, so I may be taking the gap year. I probably will be working and volunteering if I do decide on the gap year and hopefully apply again. Would doing a master's help as an EC, or possibly other suggestions to tidy up my application? 

thanks for the break down! What is your course load per year as you mention those labs (? waterloo)? Since you took a full course load of at least 5.0 credits each year what is your GPA with your lowest 3.0 credits removed? What is your GPA in each year with your best 5.0 credits included only ( again because you mention labs). I am exploring various GPA weighting schemes with these questions FYI. In particular for TO it is possible those 4 B+, C+ and the C- simple won't be considered at all (as that is exactly 3.0 credits removed)

And then there is the MCAT - if you have taken it what did you get?

16 hours ago, rmorelan said:

thanks for the break down! What is your course load per year as you mention those labs (? waterloo)? Since you took a full course load of at least 5.0 credits each year what is your GPA with your lowest 3.0 credits removed? What is your GPA in each year with your best 5.0 credits included only ( again because you mention labs). I am exploring various GPA weighting schemes with these questions FYI. In particular for TO it is possible those 4 B+, C+ and the C- simple won't be considered at all (as that is exactly 3.0 credits removed)

And then there is the MCAT - if you have taken it what did you get?

Thank you for your response! Yes I am from Waterloo. I completely forgot that I was essentially calculating my GPA with ALL my courses + labs. I am confused on how to calculate FCE...

So for U of T, each semester course is 0.5 of a credit, and each full year course is 1.0 credit, right? How do labs fit into this? Waterloo's credit system works on a 0.5 and 0.25 system: each semester course is 0.5 of a credit, and each lab is 0.25 of a credit. Does that mean 2 labs = 0.5 credits? or since labs run for one semester long, they are 0.5 credits EACH? 

To give you a breakdown of my course load w/ waterloo's credit system:

• First year: 10 courses + 5 labs = 6.25 credits
  • 2nd year: 10 courses + 1 summer course + 4 labs = 6 credits
  • 3rd year: 10 courses + 1 lab = 5.25 credits 

54 minutes ago, aman said:

Thank you for your response! Yes I am from Waterloo. I completely forgot that I was essentially calculating my GPA with ALL my courses + labs. I am confused on how to calculate FCE...

So for U of T, each semester course is 0.5 of a credit, and each full year course is 1.0 credit, right? How do labs fit into this? Waterloo's credit system works on a 0.5 and 0.25 system: each semester course is 0.5 of a credit, and each lab is 0.25 of a credit. Does that mean 2 labs = 0.5 credits? or since labs run for one semester long, they are 0.5 credits EACH? 

To give you a breakdown of my course load w/ waterloo's credit system:

• First year: 10 courses + 5 labs = 6.25 credits
  • 2nd year: 10 courses + 1 summer course + 4 labs = 6 credits
  • 3rd year: 10 courses + 1 lab = 5.25 credits 

So yes TO will let you also drop 2 labs for every 0.5 credit they let you drop. So you can effectively drop say 4 lab courses per full time year - they remain 0.25 weighted. Also keep in mind as I mentioned, now that we have that, you must calculate your best 2 year GPA for western using ONLY 5.0 credits. So in effect for Western you would be dropping 1.25 credits for your first year, 1.0 credits in your second year, and 0.25 credits (which won't ha really doing anything except to say that lab won't count). 

If you happen to around this is exactly the stuff I go over in the information session I give at Waterloo 1-2 times a year :)

So when you can do all that - and let us know what your GPA really is now for those schools. 

2 hours ago, rmorelan said:

So yes TO will let you also drop 2 labs for every 0.5 credit they let you drop. So you can effectively drop say 4 lab courses per full time year - they remain 0.25 weighted. Also keep in mind as I mentioned, now that we have that, you must calculate your best 2 year GPA for western using ONLY 5.0 credits. So in effect for Western you would be dropping 1.25 credits for your first year, 1.0 credits in your second year, and 0.25 credits (which won't ha really doing anything except to say that lab won't count). 

If you happen to around this is exactly the stuff I go over in the information session I give at Waterloo 1-2 times a year :)

So when you can do all that - and let us know what your GPA really is now for those schools. 

Want to collaborate? I'm also a UW grad, now resident. 

On 7/4/2018 at 12:33 PM, aman said:

Hi guys! 

I'm new to this sub, and just wondering if a wGPA of 3.6 will even be looked at by any of the Canadian Med schools? I'm a resident of ontario.

I just finished 3rd year, and planning to do my MCAT soon but probably will take a gap year to work on my ECs. I do have one more year to pull my grades up a bit, but not sure by how much. I've had 2 research jobs with 2-3 expected publications, will this help with my application?

I know my biggest obstacle is my GPA at the moment (assuming I'll do well on the MCAT), is there anyway to beef up my application so that my GPA is essentially less important? 

Definitely apply! You never know. Friend of mine was accepted to 2 schools despite having a 3.6 cGPA and 3.7 2 year GPA, there abouts.

40 minutes ago, meddem said:

Definitely apply! You never know. Friend of mine was accepted to 2 schools despite having a 3.6 cGPA and 3.7 2 year GPA, there abouts.

Hi, do u know where you friend applied to, if you dont mind sharing. 

On 7/11/2018 at 12:54 PM, meddem said:

46 minutes ago, Surinder said:

Yes and what was their MCAT scores?

Did they work with any consulting company?

Keep in mind, they may have gotten in out of Ontario where IP requirements are lower. In Ontario you’d be facing very rough application cycle even with a great MCAT. Mac if CARS was high and CASPer was marked high I can see. Or a strong wGPA for UoT.

Archived