Premed 101 Forums

Geriatrics

Hi!

Just had a question about geriatrics. I'm assuming you have to be tied to a hospital to do geriatrics, and because of the small number of geriatricians, most hospitals would only hire you if you agreed to do inpatient geriatric service for a certain number of weeks per year (i.e. mandatory inpatient geriatric service)

Would a hospital hire you for solely doing outpatient geriatrics? From who I've talked to, the answer is no (I mean after all, you did do an internal medicine residency), but wondering if anyone has other opinions! Thanks!

1 hour ago, brady23 said:

Hi!

Just had a question about geriatrics. I'm assuming you have to be tied to a hospital to do geriatrics, and because of the small number of geriatricians, most hospitals would only hire you if you agreed to do inpatient geriatric service for a certain number of weeks per year (i.e. mandatory inpatient geriatric service)

Would a hospital hire you for solely doing outpatient geriatrics? From who I've talked to, the answer is no (I mean after all, you did do an internal medicine residency), but wondering if anyone has other opinions! Thanks!

All the geriatricians that I worked with, do a mix of both inpatient and outpatient services. It's really rare that you could solely do outpatient practice when you just start practicing. 

I think that if you want to be affiliated with an academic & community hospital, it's rare that they will hire you if you want to do only outpatient geri clinics. 

In medicine, there is a hierarchy even between staff physicians. The more senior staff physicians usually have better schedules, with less calls and more outpatient practice (whether academic or community)

Started from the bottom, and slowly climbing up :)

28 minutes ago, LittleDaisy said:

All the geriatricians that I worked with, do a mix of both inpatient and outpatient services. It's really rare that you could solely do outpatient practice when you just start practicing. 

I think that if you want to be affiliated with an academic & community hospital, it's rare that they will hire you if you want to do only outpatient geri clinics. 

In medicine, there is a hierarchy even between staff physicians. The more senior staff physicians usually have better schedules, with less calls and more outpatient practice (whether academic or community)

Started from the bottom, and slowly climbing up :)

Thank you so much! It definitely makes sense considering geriatricians are doing an IM residency haha, it's probably unlikely that a hospital would hire you without agreeing to any sort of inpatient service!

Archived