Premed 101 Forums

NAQ - Overcoming adversity

Although a little bit late, I just wanted to add my two cents, for the sake of other applicants who are also mulling about whether or not to include something on their application. I have had multiple events that fall under the "adversity" category, and I was unsure whether or not to include them for reasons that have come up on this thread - it might feel cheap, or like I was "using" the events. However, the reality is not everyone has adverse events. In a process that, perhaps unnecessarily, puts enormous pressure on us to stand out from a crowd, the best we can do it put forth the truest version of ourselves. There are things that have happened in my life that have not shaped me, which I do not include. But the ones that "explain" me have made their way onto my application, and have caused some things like lower grades at times, and significant stress and strife at others. It's not fair to me to expect that I "bear my burden stoically", which is expected at every other social encounter. If I am "using it", then I feel no remorse. People with these experiences wish they hadn't happened, but we're allowed to speak our truth when asked, like our application does. Not everyone has these events, and to not include them when they impact so many parts of your life, including things that end up on your application, can be doing yourself a disservice.

Also, to end my rant, adverse events happen TO people, they are generally not active. Let the other parts of your application speak to your tenacity and how you have overcome things. I don't think it's necessary to "silver lining" things to make people feel more comfortable with you using them on your application. Don't lie, don't exaggerate, but don't apologize for including things on your application that are true, that happened, especially if they hurt. It is your prerogative to define yourself as you see fit. 

Archived