Premed 101 Forums

Really down, need advice on my situation :(

Hello, I am an ex athlete who had a really hard time transitioning into academic life. I played my sport professionally until I was injured at age 19 and could not play anymore - I always knew I wanted to be a physician and was a 95+ student in high school.

In my first 2 years of university I basically got too depressed to do anything and dropped most courses but ended up with 2 C's and B.

I'm healthy now, at 21, and am ready to do this but I cant help but to be overwhelmingly upset and down about my past marks and academic baggage. I feel trapped honestly.

I have volunteered at the same hospital unit on and off for 4 years and am involved in the indigenous health community where I live (not indigenous but mother works as therapist on a reserve).

I am registered in an arts program this coming year and am taking 5 courses/semester. I really have clarified in my head that fact I really want to be a doctor, I just don't know if I am being realistic. This is my first post and I'd really love honest words of wisdom...

Hope you all have a great day.

Firstly, it takes a lot of inner strength to muster up the courage to re-tackle your goals. I commend you for that. It seems that you are willing to refocus your efforts and time to the medicine pathway. This is good! 

My advice is to take it step by step. Our victories are not won overnight, it will take time and it will sometimes feel like two steps forward one step back. Focus on your mental and physical health while you're refocusing your attention to your academics. For most schools, there is some form of weighting for more recent academic performance, and better yet, some even drop your lowest marks. Take it step by step and resettle in this academic milieu and strive for a higher GPA. 

Keep up with the extracurricular activities and dabble in things that interest you (it seems indigenous health issues peak your interest?) and continue that. If you haven't tried research, maybe try that during the summer. But your priority should be your GPA and academics. Get that order first :) 

Nothing is impossible. Give it your best shot :) Feel free to PM me if you want to chat more. 

Hey keep your chin up, you got this. You're 21 and still have all the time in the world. Just like @la marzocco said, take it step by step because if you look too far ahead, it will definitely feel overwhelming. The road to medicine is rarely a clean one so don't let the obstacles along the way affect your drive! There will be some times where you're going to feel discouraged (which is totally normal), but trust me when I say that every decision you've made in the years of uncertainty will make sense the day you get in. The journey to accomplishing your dream only ends when YOU decide for it to end :)

Feel free to PM me as well for any specific questions about your situation! 

Your goal is realistic if you are prepared for blood, sweat and tears. Moreover, you have the perfect background. Having experienced professional sports, you understand collaboration, team work, dedication, perseverance, focus, discipline, responsibility, being accountable and treating your area of interest professionally. Therefore, you are already ahead of the game. Why feel overwhelmed? You are in a marathon where there will be low point and high, you need to remain motivated always and persevere no matter what. Do not worry about how long it takes, the obstacles ahead, just put one foot in front of the other and carry on. When you look back eventually, you will be amazed at how far you have come. Do not focus on others, only upon yourself, your goal and getting there. You are up to the task. I wish you every success!

18 hours ago, Bambi said:

Your goal is realistic if you are prepared for blood, sweat and tears. Moreover, you have the perfect background. Having experienced professional sports, you understand collaboration, team work, dedication, perseverance, focus, discipline, responsibility, being accountable and treating your area of interest professionally. Therefore, you are already ahead of the game. Why feel overwhelmed? You are in a marathon where there will be low point and high, you need to remain motivated always and persevere no matter what. Do not worry about how long it takes, the obstacles ahead, just put one foot in front of the other and carry on. When you look back eventually, you will be amazed at how far you have come. Do not focus on others, only upon yourself, your goal and getting there. You are up to the task. I wish you every success!

Thank you very much, made my day and changed my outlook! Best to you.