Premed 101 Forums

How did you convince your mentors to support you?

Hi guys, 

I was wondering how you convinced your mentors (i.e. lab PIs, professors, etc.) to support you on your path to medicine? How did you convince them to support you to become an MD rather than pursuing a career in research/academia for example? I'm asking because I'm trying to get my PIs (who are also MDs) to support my efforts to pursue medicine instead of getting a PhD (or even an MD/PhD). What challenges have you guys had regarding research supervisors (or other mentors) who have a strong opinion on you joining their field of work instead of medicine? 

I think it’s more about showing them your passion for medicine rather than trying to convince them. If they are not supporting you on your path to medicine it might be worth sitting down with them and discussing it. 

Also, if you are planning on applying soon, you could ask them about providing you with a strong reference letter for your applications. This might help you break the ice. 

My research supervisor was rumoured to hate premeds, but he was the most supportive of my goals when he saw my potential and motivation. 

Best of luck!

KT

3 hours ago, Koopatroopa said:

I think it’s more about showing them your passion for medicine rather than trying to convince them. If they are not supporting you on your path to medicine it might be worth sitting down with them and discussing it. 

Also, if you are planning on applying soon, you could ask them about providing you with a strong reference letter for your applications. This might help you break the ice. 

My research supervisor was rumoured to hate premeds, but he was the most supportive of my goals when he saw my potential and motivation. 

Best of luck!

KT

Going to add onto this comment since its definitely true.

You shoudn't want/have to convince them to support you; they should be able to see that, through your actions and work ethic, they are comfortable supporting you.  Most PIs out there will want you to stay in their lab and have you pursue academia (this notion isn't foreign to many people), but if you show through actions that medicine is your true passion, they'll realize it is.  And if it is really stressing you out and coming down to the wire, a formal conversation/meeting may be needed to have them realize that academia isn't in your scope.

Archived