Premed 101 Forums

Most people here would choose dent cause it's a forum consisting mostly of aspiring dental students/professionals.

What does your brother love more? Sure, money is important, but he definitely won't be struggling as an optometrist. Why would you even consider doing something you're not the most passionate about when you have an option? There's more to a career than money, especially years down the road.

If he really wants to f*** around with eyes he should go to med school and become an ophthalmologist.

Someone's gotta poke eyeballs all day long *shudders*... I couldn't do it, would give me the heebie-jeebies all day.

To answer your questions though, I'd say yes by and large dentists make more than optos. And I do think dentistry (at least the dentist role) is far more resistant to automation than optometry is, since from what I understand at least in Canada (and Ontario) optometry is pretty limited to examination & diagnosis. Actual treatment, management, and certainly operative procedures is usually relegated to ophthos. The scope of practice of optometry is quite narrow.

Archived