Premed 101 Forums

Hey there :)

Congratulations on completing your 5th year, that's already a tough decision to make and demonstrates great determination. As far as I'm concerned you are very nearly at the average in terms of gpa, I don't think it's non-competitive. Cars is a lil below average from a pure stats perspective (though that is a good cars score) but hey! There isn't any reason why you don't have a reasonable chance, prep for casper and hope for the best! I might hesitate regarding more years of undergrad as it becomes progressively harder and harder to budge that gpa for quite the financial cost... but I am not too knowledgeable about this topic. 

That being said, if you have the opportunity to apply elsewhere that will definitely help your odds, a cgpa of 3.83 can be much higher depending on weighting formulas. With a 128 cars Calgary/Alberta are options. Keep carrying on, you're heading in the right direction. 

You seem like you're in the running for an interview. Just nail Casper and you should put yourself in a good spot. Those stats aren't strong enough to put you in a position to expect an interview, but I also wouldn't be surprised if you got one. 

3.83/128 is just below the average of 3.84/129. 

Retaking is really up to you. It's going to cost you a lot of money and a few months of your life. I wouldn't recommend unless you begin scoring consistent 130s in CARS. The last thing you want is for your scores to drop or stay the same.

A strong Casper would probably be much more effective in boosting your application. Just imagine putting the hours you'd spend studying for the MCAT into Casper practice.

Honestly, unless you didn't really try for your first write, you may not be able to improve much on your verbal. It is up to you, if you have the time to study hardcore, then rewrite if you want, but do not underestimate the power of CASPer and interviews. If rewriting the MCAT means spending less time on preparing for CASPer, you probably should just focus on CASPer. You definitely have a good shot for an interview and doing any more undergrad to improve your GPA isn't very useful at this point. Do not forget that half of the people who get into medical school at Mac will have a lower than "avg" GPA. 

On 7/28/2018 at 4:51 PM, Edict said:

Honestly, unless you didn't really try for your first write, you may not be able to improve much on your verbal. It is up to you, if you have the time to study hardcore, then rewrite if you want, but do not underestimate the power of CASPer and interviews. If rewriting the MCAT means spending less time on preparing for CASPer, you probably should just focus on CASPer. You definitely have a good shot for an interview and doing any more undergrad to improve your GPA isn't very useful at this point. Do not forget that half of the people who get into medical school at Mac will have a lower than "avg" GPA. 

I would not rewrite and solely focus on getting into one med school. Don't spread yourself too thinly by applying too broadly. I'd rather be an average applicant at one school than a mediocre applicant at three. You only need one acceptance letter. If you get an interview, just prep like mad and kill it. It's an average for a reason, and you straddle it. I wouldn't feel at ease, but know that you are in the running for acceptance! 

Archived