Premed 101 Forums

SWOMEN Status

6 hours ago, PreMed95 said:

There's no where on OMSAS, where you designate you have SWOMEN status. Does this mean Shulich no longer takes this into consideration of the 2018/2019 cycle?

I strongly doubt that, perhaps it is this question:

If you lived in and attended high school in Canada, what was the postal code of your home address? (E.g., N2H7P4 (no spaces))

that would do it. Don't see any other reason for that question.

9 minutes ago, ninja7292 said:

I'm 99% sure they ask you for your high school transcript at your interview, SWOMEN or not. (speaking from what I've heard, not experience).

This makes sense because SWOMEN is ALL of high school - not just most or some of high school.

They do but that doesn't help you if you don't get an interview because they don't apply the right criteria :)

Their rule is easy to apply if a little simplistic. You can have major ties to the SWOMEN area and not have spent every single moment of your high school years in the area. 

31 minutes ago, ninja7292 said:

I'm 99% sure they ask you for your high school transcript at your interview, SWOMEN or not. (speaking from what I've heard, not experience).

This makes sense because SWOMEN is ALL of high school - not just most or some of high school.

This year it looks like they only asked for SWOMEN transcripts, this is what they said in the pre-interview reminders email:

"Applicants from Southwestern Ontario are required to provide an original high school transcript.".

Also, when I arrived on interview day one of the first year med volunteers made a comment about me being SWOMEN when he saw my holding my transcripts.

1 hour ago, pinksunset said:

This year it looks like they only asked for SWOMEN transcripts, this is what they said in the pre-interview reminders email:

"Applicants from Southwestern Ontario are required to provide an original high school transcript.".

Also, when I arrived on interview day one of the first year med volunteers made a comment about me being SWOMEN when he saw my holding my transcripts.

yeah it is really only if you are claiming SWOMEN status - otherwise it doesn't matter so there is no point in collecting 300 unneeded transcripts (give or take).

rmorelan, I thought OMSAS always gave you the option to submit information regarding your demographics for the personal info form? (it did last cycle). With regards to the individual school submission tabs, UWO required you to fill in (at least last cycle) where you went to high school for the SWOMEN status. This year, it only asks us to submit the Abbreviated ABS as the only requirement. I think with this new-holistic approach, its gonna be hard to make distinctly higher cutoffs for the non-swomen applicants. 

5 minutes ago, PreMed95 said:

rmorelan, I thought OMSAS always gave you the option to submit information regarding your demographics for the personal info form? (it did last cycle). With regards to the individual school submission tabs, UWO required you to fill in (at least last cycle) where you went to high school for the SWOMEN status. This year, it only asks us to submit the Abbreviated ABS as the only requirement. I think with this new-holistic approach, its gonna be hard to make distinctly higher cutoffs for the non-swomen applicants. 

well the do directly ask where you went to high school still. No other reason for that question except for SWOMEN status. I just saw it there :) 

I am getting really nervous now! Can someone contact them and check?

But everywhere on their website and the little blerb on OMSAS about Schulich still says how it gives preference for SWOMEN. If it didn't anymore than why would they plaster it all over their webpages and on OMSAS? 

7 hours ago, T-cell said:

I am getting really nervous now! Can someone contact them and check?

But everywhere on their website and the little blerb on OMSAS about Schulich still says how it gives preference for SWOMEN. If it didn't anymore than why would they plaster it all over their webpages and on OMSAS? 

SWOMEN is still on

OMSAS still has a section for it

I am getting confused why this is still an issue? What am I missing? This is right in the other information section of the application (I create an account each year to see if anything changed). 

postal.png

• 1 month later...
On 9/10/2018 at 8:59 AM, T-cell said:

But isn't this now asked earlier in the app but not specific for Schulich? 

Yes I believe so ha

I am trying to cut out any panic that there is something changed here - I don't think anything has at all. It makes more sense to have the data needed for two schools (NSOM and Schulich) to be in the same place anyway.

Archived