Premed 101 Forums

Only write CARS?

I'm going into my 3rd year of undergrad and I originally planned on doing the MCAT next year, because this summer was filled with family stuff. But now I have nothing to do, I thought I can apply to McMaster (practice run, give myself a shot at it). Realistically, I can't finish studying everything in 1 month because I have not taken most of the introductory science courses, so is it possible to only write the CARS section and leave other sections blank? Will this have any ramifications for Canadian and possibly US med schools if I apply to them in the future?

Not an expert on the subject but I believe your chances at US schools will be greatly affected. A majority, if not all, of the schools consider all attempts and some of them even average your scores. As far as Canadian schools go I think all of them look at your latest attempt ? I'll let someone with more intel comment on that lol. 

From what I've read over my years of lurking the forum there has been people only writing the CARS/VR section and getting in Mac, so it's not impossible. High risk high reward.

9 minutes ago, Kez said:

Not an expert on the subject but I believe your chances at US schools will be greatly affected. A majority, if not all, of the schools consider all attempts and some of them even average your scores. As far as Canadian schools go I think all of them look at your latest attempt ? I'll let someone with more intel comment on that lol. 

From what I've read over my years of lurking the forum there has been people only writing the CARS/VR section and getting in Mac, so it's not impossible. High risk high reward.

Definitely will affect your chances at US schools as they care about rewrites. Most Canadian schools take your latest/best scores as far I'm aware, and yes people have done that in the past and have gotten into mac. If you don't mind the potential time/cost of a rewrite then you could try. You also may know more than you think in the sciences- look through some prep books, taking the corresponding classes may not be necessary. 

4 hours ago, VeryNiceGuy said:

I'm going into my 3rd year of undergrad and I originally planned on doing the MCAT next year, because this summer was filled with family stuff. But now I have nothing to do, I thought I can apply to McMaster (practice run, give myself a shot at it). Realistically, I can't finish studying everything in 1 month because I have not taken most of the introductory science courses, so is it possible to only write the CARS section and leave other sections blank? Will this have any ramifications for Canadian and possibly US med schools if I apply to them in the future?

I think this is strategic and can be a good idea. You only need 1 acceptance letter. The only risk I see if the financial aspect. 

I'm speaking from perspective of someone who never considered going to the US.

Archived