Premed 101 Forums

Can this EC be considered as a continuous long-term commitment?

I volunteered at a language services program, teaching kids a foreign language for 4 years in high school. I moved to a different city since then for university, and I finished doing the same work as in high school for 2 years. I'll be moving to another city for my masters and probably will be doing another 1 year of the same work. Would this be seen as 7 years of volunteering? 

I'm going to split each of the 3 experiences into different sections in the application as they will have different supervisors, but I'm asking in terms of big-picture evaluations by adcoms.

Thanks.

I switched piano teachers after 8 years. My new piano teacher just verified that I had the 8 years of experience that she wasn't present for (mainly because you don't just start playing piano in the Royal Conservatory in Level 8, and I continued playing with her for many years). I kept it all as one activity but clarified in the hours that the piano teacher switched. If they were to question it, I would've just given them the contact of the other teacher to verify.

32 minutes ago, InstantRamen said:

I switched piano teachers after 8 years. My new piano teacher just verified that I had the 8 years of experience that she wasn't present for (mainly because you don't just start playing piano in the Royal Conservatory in Level 8, and I continued playing with her for many years). I kept it all as one activity but clarified in the hours that the piano teacher switched. If they were to question it, I would've just given them the contact of the other teacher to verify.

Thanks for the input. 

My teaching experience at different programs were relatively long-term commitments (2~4 years) so I don't have a problem with listing them separately on the application. In my case wouldn't it be an advantage to list them separately since it shows my dedication to the activity despite having moved to different cities?  

16 hours ago, Olle said:

Thanks for the input. 

My teaching experience at different programs were relatively long-term commitments (2~4 years) so I don't have a problem with listing them separately on the application. In my case wouldn't it be an advantage to list them separately since it shows my dedication to the activity despite having moved to different cities?  

Usually you would think to list them separately as they have different details (location, supervisor, maybe organization). Since this is for UBC, you have limited entries for volunteer activities (I understand this wasn't paid employment) so it could be advantageous to class them together (since they are essentially the same activity) and describe that you worked at different locations, just for the sake of space. If that's not an issue, I'm not too sure how each option would be regarded differently by an evaluator as I've never seen their marking scheme!

Archived