Premed 101 Forums

How are summer school courses treated for medical/dental school?

Hello all,

Sorry if I'm at the wrong section of the website I'm quite new. So after researching through a bunch of medical and dental school requirements, I realized that some include summer courses in their GPA calculations while some don't. But my question is whether summer courses are actually accepted as credits? For example, even if a med school doesn't consider summer courses for GPA calculation, do they actually ACCEPT that course as a valid course taken or not? I'm considering taking a science course during the summer due to the nature of my undergrad program and that's why I really need the answer to this question.

3 hours ago, Parminmed22 said:

Hello all,

Sorry if I'm at the wrong section of the website I'm quite new. So after researching through a bunch of medical and dental school requirements, I realized that some include summer courses in their GPA calculations while some don't. But my question is whether summer courses are actually accepted as credits? For example, even if a med school doesn't consider summer courses for GPA calculation, do they actually ACCEPT that course as a valid course taken or not? I'm considering taking a science course during the summer due to the nature of my undergrad program and that's why I really need the answer to this question.

sure, in the case say of prerequisites - which is usually where this comes into play so that you have a recognized course to use then yes certainly the do count. 

I took a buuunch of summer classes. I did this strategically to make sure I could focus on the content if the course was notoriously difficult (physics and biochem). Some schools only count classes during the school year though and require a full course load (taking a summer class doesn't replace a class during the year in terms of minimum credit hours at some schools...), so make sure you do your research and figure out if that is a requirement at the school you are applying to. I think that taking a prerequisite in the summer will still count toward your med/dental school application. 

I don't think its considered as a red flag by any school I had applied to, but you never know?

Archived