Premed 101 Forums

Study Resources for PreClinical modules

Hey Guys,

I am a bit nervous about the study resources that I would need as a first year this September. Tbh I have a very small (pretty much non-existent) background in Biology, Anatomy, etc. I did Physics in Undergrad and then worked as a software developer for a year. Are there any books that you would recommend that would explain all concepts that I would need to know? Ideally it would have any thing that I would potentially be quizzed on during rounds (or close to it). 

Thanks!!

On 8/2/2018 at 1:20 PM, toronto_sam said:

Hey Guys,

I am a bit nervous about the study resources that I would need as a first year this September. Tbh I have a very small (pretty much non-existent) background in Biology, Anatomy, etc. I did Physics in Undergrad and then worked as a software developer for a year. Are there any books that you would recommend that would explain all concepts that I would need to know? Ideally it would have any thing that I would potentially be quizzed on during rounds (or close to it). 

Thanks!!

I would start off with an anatomy textbook. You should start off with the basics, typically you would know anatomy first because that helps orient you to what other textbooks will refer to. I would recommend a book like Gray's Anatomy for Students, it has nice drawings, and explanations for students. I would only get an Anatomy Atlas if you do the dissection course, or if you want surgery. Following that you should get a book on Physiology, aka normal function of the body. Don't get anything too detailed (Guyton and Hall). I don't really have a great recommendation for absolute beginners, some people may find some lectures online more useful, but I used BRS physiology myself. It is probably a better book for people who have taken some courses in it before though. 

Then you move onto clinical medicine. Without a background in anatomy and physiology, you will have trouble understanding clinical medicine. Pathology and pharmacology are also useful but slightly less useful, you will learn any diseases and drugs you need to know in most clinical medicine textbooks. Unless you are trying to write the USMLE, you probably won't need to get a book like Robben's or Goljan's or Pathoma,

Once you get access to medportal, browse through their resources, they make some good recommendations and have some useful videos.