Premed 101 Forums

Chances without writing CASPer

Entering 4th year at U of T. I haven't written the CASPer and am not interested in writing it this cycle unless my chances are poor. My CARS score is too low for Western (130 cutoff is absurd), limiting my choices to U of T and Queen's.

OMSAS cGPA: 3.84

UofT wGPA: 3.87

Queen's 2YGPA: 3.86

MCAT: 129/125/129/128 - 511

Academic EC's:

- volunteered with 3 different labs doing research with them, have not published anything though

- one of the founders for a premed focused club

- completed explore program twice

- received $30K in scholarships

Volunteering and me stuff:

- hospital volunteer for ~1 year, science fair judge, sports conference delegate, student athletics and academics committee member, volunteer at a museum for 1 year, active living promoter (I know it's vague, but it's incredibly specific and can be used to identify me easily)

- played intermurals for 2 most recent years and will continue, really got into weightlifting and active living (would I be able to write an ABS of how I went from obese to having a 6 pack, and pushing 1K club, from grade 12 to now? Or is that just pretentious?), I played for a sports team all 4 years in high school and was the captain and MVP in my final year

- I've had (to varying degrees from daily to once a week) to take care of a family member with Alzheimer's since grade 11. This person's health deteriorated a lot during my university career, forcing me to do multiple 4/6 academic years so I could have time to help out. 

- I've been working a seasonal job since I was 12, and I will be balancing full time work and school in my final year because school is hella expensive and single parent first generation family

I'm not sure where my GPA and MCAT together stand competitively and when I compare myself to others on this forum I feel like my ECs aren't even average for someone in premed. I'm not interested in taking the CASPer this cycle because I had to compact my studying for the MCAT so I could work full time (3 jobs) in July and August and I don't think I'll have time to prepare for it. 

You shouldn't exclude yourself from applying to two schools. The CASPer is not like the MCAT, its not that long and although you can prep for it, its not a huge amount. A good amount of applicants do not even do considerable prep for CASPer. There is no harm in writing it. It's best to apply to all the schools you can, and by not writing the CASPer you cannot even apply to Ottawa and Mac.

Your GPA is on the low end of competitive for Queens and UofT I believe. Your MCAT will be fine for UofT, but your CARS score may be too low for Queens (they don't release cutoffs but it seems like they tend to only take in people with 126+).

2 minutes ago, Supervenience said:

You shouldn't exclude yourself from applying to two schools. The CASPer is not like the MCAT, its not that long and although you can prep for it, its not a huge amount. A good amount of applicants do not even do considerable prep for CASPer. There is no harm in writing it. It's best to apply to all the schools you can, and by not writing the CASPer you cannot even apply to Ottawa and Mac.

Your GPA is on the low end of competitive for Queens and UofT I believe. Your MCAT will be fine for UofT, but your CARS score may be too low for Queens (they don't release cutoffs but it seems like they tend to only take in people with 126+).

You're right there is no harm in writing it, I'm just neurotic about being prepared for it, I guess. Could I ask you for a ballpark estimate of the number of hours to prepare for it? I spent 10-12 hours a day preparing for the MCAT over an 8 week period if that helps relate anything.

My wGPA to Ottawa would be a 3.85, where would you rank that for UOttawa? 

23 minutes ago, Kawhi2Raptors said:

You're right there is no harm in writing it, I'm just neurotic about being prepared for it, I guess. Could I ask you for a ballpark estimate of the number of hours to prepare for it? I spent 10-12 hours a day preparing for the MCAT over an 8 week period if that helps relate anything.

My wGPA to Ottawa would be a 3.85, where would you rank that for UOttawa? 

For english stream? Literally right at the cut-off, which is unfortunately low. They are definitely a GPA based school (a consequence of no MCAT). I am not exactly sure how CASPer is used for them, one year it was a cut-off, maybe it is now used competitively, Mr. Duck would probably know. Competitive GPA usually ranged above 3.93-3.95+, but of course there have been those with lower GPAs interviewed. But right at the cut-off, that will be an up-hill battle. Definitely need to have a well written ABS and stellar CASPer I would say. Study time for CASPer is what you make it, definitely doesn't need to be at the extent MCAT studying was. Reading up on some medical ethics, ethics for everyday situations and not so everyday. Life experience really helps. Maybe do a sample test with a company to get a feel for it. 

48 minutes ago, IMislove said:

For english stream? Literally right at the cut-off, which is unfortunately low. They are definitely a GPA based school (a consequence of no MCAT). I am not exactly sure how CASPer is used for them, one year it was a cut-off, maybe it is now used competitively, Mr. Duck would probably know. Competitive GPA usually ranged above 3.93-3.95+, but of course there have been those with lower GPAs interviewed. But right at the cut-off, that will be an up-hill battle. Definitely need to have a well written ABS and stellar CASPer I would say. Study time for CASPer is what you make it, definitely doesn't need to be at the extent MCAT studying was. Reading up on some medical ethics, ethics for everyday situations and not so everyday. Life experience really helps. Maybe do a sample test with a company to get a feel for it. 

Damn that's cutthroat competitive wow... Mr. Duck is a forum user?

Thanks for all the input, I really appreciate it!

"Practicing" for the CASPer is nothing similar to the MCAT as far as time commitment and mental commitment goes. 

You will definitely not be spending 8-10 hour days doing prep for the CASPer, especially for 8 weeks.  There is typically a small amount of prep involved, and you can honestly do very well on it without any practice at all (but wouldn't recommend this).  I'd recommend reading about the test and the structure of it, doing a few practice questions to get a feel of how it is to write it, and thinking of some life stories that you can use during the test.

In the end, it's a very quick test with not much commitment behind it. It may even help you prep for your interviews!

Archived