Premed 101 Forums

Will I ever be ready

There are many subs that talk about what to do before getting into med school (pre-reading or what to learn the summer before, textbooks), what you need to do to match to carms (electives, LOR, clerkship, research) and everything in between (pre-clerkship). I know when it comes to carms essentially you only have one shot. It is also very subjective and it seems it is kind of a mystery even for med students. Will you ever be able to anticipate what is going to happen in medical school before getting into medical school. I am in undergrad and will be applying to medical school, and of course the eventual goal just like everyone if I get in, would be to match to a specialty of my choice. But there is a chance I don't get in, and may have to pursue a masters or some other post-secondary education, and If I do get in there is a chance that I won't be prepared or I am not ready. Is there anything in the meantime that I can do, in addition to strengthening my med school application, to get ready for medical school. Some people on here have said that there is nothing you can do to anticipate what goes on in medical school, or that you can't afford to get ready for medical school and you need keep applying to increase your chances. Just wanted to know, is there anything I can do during my post-graduate years to feel more ready or is there no possible way to anticipate what will happen and you have to accept the uncertainty of carms and the whole process and just adjust during those four years of med and hope to match to what you want. 

It is one step at a time. Just live your life, have as strong as possible academic record, follow your interests and contribute to your community. Be self-reflective, humble and kind. Have a Plan B. Persevere, do your best and let life unfold!

14 hours ago, jackhomes123456 said:

There are many subs that talk about what to do before getting into med school (pre-reading or what to learn the summer before, textbooks), what you need to do to match to carms (electives, LOR, clerkship, research) and everything in between (pre-clerkship). I know when it comes to carms essentially you only have one shot. It is also very subjective and it seems it is kind of a mystery even for med students. Will you ever be able to anticipate what is going to happen in medical school before getting into medical school. I am in undergrad and will be applying to medical school, and of course the eventual goal just like everyone if I get in, would be to match to a specialty of my choice. But there is a chance I don't get in, and may have to pursue a masters or some other post-secondary education, and If I do get in there is a chance that I won't be prepared or I am not ready. Is there anything in the meantime that I can do, in addition to strengthening my med school application, to get ready for medical school. Some people on here have said that there is nothing you can do to anticipate what goes on in medical school, or that you can't afford to get ready for medical school and you need keep applying to increase your chances. Just wanted to know, is there anything I can do during my post-graduate years to feel more ready or is there no possible way to anticipate what will happen and you have to accept the uncertainty of carms and the whole process and just adjust during those four years of med and hope to match to what you want. 

Focus on one step at a time, focus on med school admissions for now

Archived