Premed 101 Forums

Q/A Study Aid for 1st/2nd year Med School

Hello everyone,

Can someone recommend a good question bank resource for first and second year pre clerkship materials?  I study best by doing as many practice questions as possible.

In the states, they have UWorld for the USMLE but I am not sure how useful that would be here as we don’t take the exam and the material pace/ depth may be different as well. Has anyone used it and see it as helpful? 

From your post history, looks like you got accepted to Schulich, congrats and welcome to the family!

Some of the courses will have practice quizzes for you to do, those are generally pretty helpful in first year. There's also a pre-clerkship workbook that'll be sold sometime during the Blood course, it's the second one you do, first course is Intro to Medicine; that has some good questions as well to do. 

Other than that, you can use USMLE resources too. There's a significant overlap with the Canadian curriculum (especially by systems), and you can always skip the stuff that our courses didn't do. I didn't use UWorld or USMLE-Rx myself, but people do swear by them in the States.

8 hours ago, HeroX37 said:

From your post history, looks like you got accepted to Schulich, congrats and welcome to the family!

Some of the courses will have practice quizzes for you to do, those are generally pretty helpful in first year. There's also a pre-clerkship workbook that'll be sold sometime during the Blood course, it's the second one you do, first course is Intro to Medicine; that has some good questions as well to do. 

Other than that, you can use USMLE resources too. There's a significant overlap with the Canadian curriculum (especially by systems), and you can always skip the stuff that our courses didn't do. I didn't use UWorld or USMLE-Rx myself, but people do swear by them in the States.

Thank you :) 

Not to get nerdy too fast before school starts but wondering when do the courses, upcoming notes, syllabi roughly become available to first years? 

Waiting for school to start is making me anxious but also excited to begin lol 

1 hour ago, MeowMeowKit said:

Thank you :) 

Not to get nerdy too fast before school starts but wondering when do the courses, upcoming notes, syllabi roughly become available to first years? 

Waiting for school to start is making me anxious but also excited to begin lol 

Not sure, but I think either during orientation week or after it? Don't worry too much about it!
Enjoy the rest of the summer, you'll spend plenty of time with your coursework once school starts! The first course, Intro to Medicine (ITM) is designed to get you back in the groove of things and adjusted to medical school. 

Archived