Premed 101 Forums

advice : mph to MD

5 hours ago, aba said:

I am in Ontario, and I am not really in a position to go back to school right now. If I write the MCAT and do well what schools would I have a serious chance at? I didn't take a full course load for all four years so I wouldn't be eligible for GPA adjustments 

Realistically in Ontario, only Mac if you got a high CARS score 130+ish maybe and did well in CASPer, although you may get the bonus gpa points from McMaster with a MPH I believe, double check that, so potentially lower CARS needed. If you took full time every year to Toronto’s standard see what your wGPA is, should be 3.9+. Rest of the schools in Ontario no chance without increasing that GPA ( don’t make cut off for western/Ottawa) Queen’s no, and most schools don’t use your MPH for gpa. I’m sorry but without another degree that you kick its ass, you are not in a good position to receive any interviews in Ontario :(. As an OOP for other schools it will be even harder because they put higher standards on OOP. If you’re in rural northern Ontario for at least the last 5 years, you MIGHT have a chance as NOSM if you had a stellar ABS. 10 + years even better. Otherwise NOSM is out too. Good luck, hope that helps in your decision making.

8 hours ago, aba said:

I am in Ontario, and I am not really in a position to go back to school right now. If I write the MCAT and do well what schools would I have a serious chance at? I didn't take a full course load for all four years so I wouldn't be eligible for GPA adjustments 

You could try Queens and Mac if you score well enough on the MCAT. Queens is less likely, but both are not clear shots at interview - you'll need a strong MCAT, especially CaRS. Other than those, there is zero reason to apply to any other ontario schools, or out of province as you either would be inelgible to apply or not meet GPA cut-offs.

I would look into the US if you're serious about getting into medical school.

Archived