Premed 101 Forums

122 -> 128 on CARS. Will McMaster see my previous score?

nosm_d

Hey guys,

I was not planning on applying to McMaster until I received a 128 on CARS (second MCAT attempt). My previous score is 122. Is there a change that McMaster will see this? I am worried that this awful CARS score will impact how my overall application is viewed / it will somehow hurt me.. or will the definitely only look at my most recent CARS score?

Thankyou

18 hours ago, garceyues said:

What did you do to increase your CARS score?

The biggest mistake I made was taking notes when reading passages. This cut down the time I could spend with the questions big time. My decision to read & mentally reflect on the passages was a complete game changer for me. If you are struggling with cars, my biggest piece of advice would be to try different methods and see which works best for you (highlighting / note taking / summarizing what you gained from each paragraph in your head, etc). For some people, writing 2 or 3 words after each paragraph is key.. but definitely not me lol. I regret using KAPLAN's strategy and personally wish I had not relied so heavily on it!

• 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, teeezyyy said:

Is it worth it to apply to McMasters with a 128? I have the same CARS score but I didn't even bother considering McMaster because thats one of the schools that only consider CARS right? And isnt their competitive average for CARS really high? I thought I had no chance.

their average is slightly below 129. 128 is a very reasonable score to apply with, unless your cGPA is very low. 

2 minutes ago, DNM said:

their average is slightly below 129. 128 is a very reasonable score to apply with, unless your cGPA is very low. 

Yeah I would agree - plus the question is also about risk vs reward. Your chances may not be super stellar (not terrible mind you) but that doesn't really matter if the cost is relatively low. 

On 9/9/2018 at 6:37 AM, rmorelan said:

Yeah I would agree - plus the question is also about risk vs reward. Your chances may not be super stellar (not terrible mind you) but that doesn't really matter if the cost is relatively low. 

Out of curiosity what do you think about an OOP applicant with a 129 CARS/3/65 cGPA? Probably unlikely but just curious. I just started my 4th year and will likely take a 5th. My hope is that I can raise my GPA to 3.75-3.8. 

Archived