Premed 101 Forums

OSAP amount received lower than estimated amount

Hello,

I am an incoming first year MD student at UofT and I was wondering if I could get some insight from upper years and other incoming students in regards to my osap situation. I recently got my actual osap amount and it was $3000 lower than the estimate that I received a couple months ago. When I spoke to the uoft finance office they told me that the discrepancy is due to the fact graduate and professional students are expected to earn $3000 during the school term and this was deducted from the amount that I received. They told me I could appeal this but I would have to wait until Jan or Feb to do so. It's kind of weird that they are assuming students will earn $3000 through some arbitrary job. I was wondering if this was a normal thing that they do? I don't mind waiting until Jan to appeal but seems like a pain to do so every year for 4 years as the appeal form is very long. Any advice is appreciated, thanks! 

14 hours ago, futuredoc123 said:

Going to tag on here, my estimate was:

Grant - 8900

Loan - 8400

My actual is:

Grant - 811

Loan - 9818

Major discrepancy, wondering what I can do about this? 

wow that is huge - something is really off there and obviously a huge hit on the grant part. Did you talk to your loan officer? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/18/2018 at 10:30 AM, rmorelan said:

wow that is huge - something is really off there and obviously a huge hit on the grant part. Did you talk to your loan officer? 

Do you mean the UofT financial aid office? I have been trying to call but cannot seem to get through, I am going to go in person tomorrow. 

1 hour ago, futuredoc123 said:

Do you mean the UofT financial aid office? I have been trying to call but cannot seem to get through, I am going to go in person tomorrow. 

ok sounds fair - go and figure this out. It is rare for such a difference to actually be valid. Something somewhere is off.