Premed 101 Forums

GPA for international schools?

• 4 months later...

It's been a while since you made this, but given the stats you posted on another thread, I really hope you don't jump the gun on Irish/Australian med schools even if you don't get in this cycle. You have a 3.96 GPA and 518 MCAT, which from a purely stats perspective, are enough to be competitive at most Canadian med schools. It's just about your extracurriculars and soft skills at this point, which can be improved upon if you don't already have them. Getting back to Canada for residency (even US now that DOs are in the same residency match as MDs) will be very difficult and you might have to make sacrifices if you fall in love with a very competitive specialty. It's not an easy path, and if your end goal is to practice medicine in North America, taking that extra year or two if you need it to get into a Canadian/US (if you can afford it) school will be worth it in the long run.

On 8/14/2018 at 2:38 PM, BobSmith777 said:

Hi all, 

I am trying to get into medical school this year, I am looking at international options but I have no clue what the requirements are...

What would be the general/average GPA for accepted students for RCSI and Australian schools such as UofSydney and/or Melbourne? Thanks 

There is absolutely no reason why someone with your stats should even consider going overseas. Your GPA and MCAT are fantastic. International schools are often for people who have applied in Canada multiple times and were rejected or have a GPA that is simply not competitive enough . Don't even consider international options unless you've been rejected after multiple application cycles. Even then, you'd probably be able to get into a USMD program which is better than going to Australia because you're considered equal to Canadian grads in the match.

16 hours ago, Sickofitall said:

There is absolutely no reason why someone with your stats should even consider going overseas. Your GPA and MCAT are fantastic. International schools are often for people who have applied in Canada multiple times and were rejected or have a GPA that is simply not competitive enough . Don't even consider international options unless you've been rejected after multiple application cycles. Even then, you'd probably be able to get into a USMD program which is better than going to Australia because you're considered equal to Canadian grads in the match.

Also, its just much easier to come back home with US training than Australian or Irish or UK. Additionally, you can always stay in the US which isn't a bad place to work. 

Archived