Premed 101 Forums

Possibility to switch residency specialty in PGY1?

K1972

I’m a PGY-1 in ENT and realized I made a mistake choosing this specialty. I regret choosing a surgical specialty, and I’m looking to switch into a primarily non-surgical specialty.

Is it possible to switch into a different program at the same school (Internal Med)?

Would I need to do this through Carms?

My understanding is that it doesn't require going through CaRMs but does generally require a space in the program you want to match to being available and an agreement from the program directors of both programs.  Having matched to ENT you have 5 years of funding that was allocated to your postgrad training which apparently results in less of a barrier than switching from family medicine to a 5 year program.

Your first step it to talk to your PGME office. You can transfer within your school or to a different school. Generally its easier to transfer within your school as you could approach the PDs directly, your current PD could approach them, etc. Bigger programs will have more opportunities for residents leaving, mat leave, etc.

Archived