Premed 101 Forums

Valid wGPA Question

Hey everyone, 

I have a question regarding wGPA eligibility. I am fully aware that you need to have a full course load to obtain the wGPA and their website does mention the following:

• if you apply after completing three years of undergraduate study, your lowest three FCE grades will be removed.
  • if you apply after completing four years of undergraduate study, your lowest four FCE grades will be removed.

However, my question is somewhat complicated so perhaps it would be best used with an example. If I completed 4 years of undergrad and one of my years was not full time (the following three years were), why is it that someone who has only completed 3 years of undergrad with a full course load can still obtain the wGPA. I would technically still have the same amount of full-time years as someone who applied right after their third year; so why wouldnt I be eligible to at least get 3 FCEs dropped from my GPA? When you apply after your 3rd year of uni, your fourth year grades wouldnt be assessed regardless. It just seems odd that someone who has completed 3 years on a full time basis but applied after they graduate is not getting the same assessment as someone applying after their 3rd year. This may sound confusing so feel free to ask for clarifications on my question. If im missing some information it would be great if someone can inform me on this matter. Or if someone who has experience in this matter it would be great to have your feedback!

Thanks

U of T  still looks at all years GPA but gives a slight benefit for full course-load to be able to drop a few lowest credits from GPA.  This is done to promote full course-load.  They want to see you can manage a high GPA under high course-load.

In your case as example, if they allowed you a wGPA,  they would still be including your first year courses and in theory if you only did say 3 credits, you may come out better with higher GPA than if you did 5 full credits in first year.

Regardless -- it is the way it is.  One can still apply with  cumulative GPA.

Other schools use best 2 years (UWO), last 2 years, (Queens  or last 3 years (OTT) .  Some of those may play better into your profile

38 minutes ago, Meridian said:

U of T  still looks at all years GPA but gives a slight benefit for full course-load to be able to drop a few lowest credits from GPA.  This is done to promote full course-load.  They want to see you can manage a high GPA under high course-load.

In your case as example, if they allowed you a wGPA,  they would still be including your first year courses and in theory if you only did say 3 credits, you may come out better with higher GPA than if you did 5 full credits in first year.

Regardless -- it is the way it is.  One can still apply with  cumulative GPA.

Other schools use best 2 years (UWO), last 2 years, (Queens  or last 3 years (OTT) .  Some of those may play better into your profile

Hey so for my profile it kind of sucks because I did exceptionally well in the three years that I was enrolled in a full course load, however, my first year was mediocre with a non full-course load. I have a valid/personal reason as to why I only took x amount of courses in first year; so hoping my academic explanations essay is taken into consideration! Thanks for the input. 

Archived