Premed 101 Forums

Some questions about OMSAS

Hey!

I'm slowly chipping away at my OMSAS application and I have a couple questions:

1) Is there no GPA input anymore? Last year I applied and had to manually enter each course I took and the grade I got, now I don't seem to see that, is the transcript enough?

2) It says Western needs an academic CV placed in the SAM, I do have a CV going but it has pretty much everything I've ever done, if it was strictly school related it would be only my undergraduate career and some work as a research assistant and would seem quite measly... What is expected here? Also what else is SAM used for? I don't remember it being there last year

3) Verifiers on ABS... How strict are they on these because for many things I've done, I don't have a legitimate contact but I know plenty of people (friends and family) that can confirm I have done the thing, is that good enough?

4) How far back should the ABS go?

5) Last year I got an email saying my MCAT score was never received despite providing my AAMC number and test date. I haven't received my score yet for this year's retake but how do I ensure that it gets sent to OMSAS this time around?

Thanks!

2 hours ago, BipolarBearr said:

Hey!

I'm slowly chipping away at my OMSAS application and I have a couple questions:

1) Is there no GPA input anymore? Last year I applied and had to manually enter each course I took and the grade I got, now I don't seem to see that, is the transcript enough?

2) It says Western needs an academic CV placed in the SAM, I do have a CV going but it has pretty much everything I've ever done, if it was strictly school related it would be only my undergraduate career and some work as a research assistant and would seem quite measly... What is expected here? Also what else is SAM used for? I don't remember it being there last year

3) Verifiers on ABS... How strict are they on these because for many things I've done, I don't have a legitimate contact but I know plenty of people (friends and family) that can confirm I have done the thing, is that good enough?

4) How far back should the ABS go?

5) Last year I got an email saying my MCAT score was never received despite providing my AAMC number and test date. I haven't received my score yet for this year's retake but how do I ensure that it gets sent to OMSAS this time around?

Thanks!

I don't know the answer to all of your questions but this is what I have gathered for some of them as a fellow applicant:

1) There is no GPA input this year, they will calculate it from our transcript(s). Makes our lives easier! :) 

3) From what I've read,  OMSAS isn't as strict as other schools in the sense that you don't NEED a supervisor in particular to verify your activity. But it would probably be best to find someone from that experience who could verify for you. I'd refrain from using family and friends unless they were involved in that activity, like unstructured ones. Maybe try getting a character verifier - someone from a professional setting who knows you and your experiences and can confirm you aren't lying? (someone more objective than family and friends). [someone please correct me if I am misinformed]. 

4) Since you were 16.

5) Did you also release your scores through the AAMC score reporting system to OMSAS? Make sure to put your info in both OMSAS and the AAMC's systems. 

Goodluck :) 

Archived