Premed 101 Forums

McGill Dental 2018 application cycle - Should I claim extenuating circumstances for

Hello I am applying this year and I have one C+ and B- that happened in the same semester before I switched my degree and was only having mental health issues that I can get a doctor to back me up for. 

McGill GPA: 3.75 w/o extenuating circumstanced 

McGill GPA: 3.83 if they drop the C+ and the B- by accepting my extenuating circumstances. 

Also does anyone know how they view extenuating circumstances. Should i claim them or should I just leave my CGPA as is?

If I were to claim should i ask them to drop the whole semester or just the two bad grades?

Thanks in advance! 

On 8/17/2018 at 6:02 PM, DentalNerdZ said:

Hello I am applying this year and I have one C+ and B- that happened in the same semester before I switched my degree and was only having mental health issues that I can get a doctor to back me up for. 

McGill GPA: 3.75 w/o extenuating circumstanced 

McGill GPA: 3.83 if they drop the C+ and the B- by accepting my extenuating circumstances. 

Also does anyone know how they view extenuating circumstances. Should i claim them or should I just leave my CGPA as is?

If I were to claim should i ask them to drop the whole semester or just the two bad grades?

Thanks in advance! 

I would just appeal those grades from the school and get them removed off your transcript unless having a full-courseload is that important to you. And  If you do decide to claim extenuating circumstances, just becareful it's not something that they can penalize you for. So it really depends on the mental issue you had.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/20/2018 at 4:28 PM, DentalNerdZ said:

Hi Starburst - My school wont allow me to appeal grades to be removed. If mental health is not good for extenuating circumstances, could I say that the grades were from the program I switched out of (those courses are not apart of my current/new program). 

I would call the school and ask the admissions office. But mental health can be used as an  extenuating circumstances as long as you explain it well, so I would try that worst-case scenerio. Good luck!

Archived