Premed 101 Forums

GPA/MCAT question

1) From what I understand,  you have to meet certain cutoffs to be considered for admission depending on which pool of applicants you are in.  For out of province applicants,  this is a 3.7 GPA and a certain MCAT score which includes a 129 CARS.  If I meet this requirements,  will my GPA and MCAT no longer be looked at,  or am I still competing with other applicants in terms of my GPA and MCAT?  With ECs also being looked at,  could this high CARS cutoff be lowered?  

2) Additionally, I noticed there seems to be a 3/5 full year course requirement.  If I am in third year,  and I am taking a full 10 course load (5 courses per semester),  6 of my 10 courses will have to be at the 300 level or higher for me to be able to use that year in my GPA calculation,  correct?  

Hey there!

1) OOP applicants are the same as most people in Ontario as well - it is more that there a very local area in Ontario that has an advantage called the SWOMEN area. Those are last years cut offs which may or may not be the same this year - there is limited stability with them ha. It is possible CARS will be lowered but there is no way of knowing that or how the ECs are used this year - some people have mentioned they will not impact the cut offs at all RE the office but of course there is nothing official. In the past MCAT and GPA were factored into the calculations post interview but how exactly is also not revealed to us ha (Historically it was 25% GPA 25% MCAT and 50% interview but that is rather old information at this point to say the least). Still people get in all the time with a range of MCAT and GPA scores above the cut offs.

2) that sounds like that year can be used as one of your 2 years used in the GPA calculation

7 hours ago, rmorelan said:

Hey there!

1) OOP applicants are the same as most people in Ontario as well - it is more that there a very local area in Ontario that has an advantage called the SWOMEN area. Those are last years cut offs which may or may not be the same this year - there is limited stability with them ha. It is possible CARS will be lowered but there is no way of knowing that or how the ECs are used this year - some people have mentioned they will not impact the cut offs at all RE the office but of course there is nothing official. In the past MCAT and GPA were factored into the calculations post interview but how exactly is also not revealed to us ha (Historically it was 25% GPA 25% MCAT and 50% interview but that is rather old information at this point to say the least). Still people get in all the time with a range of MCAT and GPA scores above the cut offs.

2) that sounds like that year can be used as one of your 2 years used in the GPA calculation

Thank you so much!

So if I dropped one of those 300 level courses, that year would no longer be eligible for consideration,  correct?

25 minutes ago, garceyues said:

Thank you so much!

So if I dropped one of those 300 level courses, that year would no longer be eligible for consideration,  correct?

sure unless you picked up another one to replace it. Some people even enroll in a easy spare course if they can just avoid missing the rule

Archived