Premed 101 Forums

Activities Started Before Age 16

Hi, 

So the consensus is that if you continued these past the age of 16 you should still use the real start date. 

However, in the level of performance part I am guessing you should only list what was achieved AFTER turning 16? For instance let's say I played a sport from age 10 to 18. I shouldn't list a performance/competition from age 15.5 ?

Sorry if this is confusing lol . Thank you :) 

I started one activity as a child and won national competitions. I indicated the real age I started this activity as it demonstrated perseverance, discipline, focus and a long term commitment to achieve excellence in the field. 

If your level of performance was such that age 15.5 you won an important competition, I would show that. In my case, it was only necessary to show my level beyond age 16 to demonstrate my achievements.

On 8/18/2018 at 5:15 PM, pyridoxal-phosphate said:

Hi, 

So the consensus is that if you continued these past the age of 16 you should still use the real start date. 

However, in the level of performance part I am guessing you should only list what was achieved AFTER turning 16? For instance let's say I played a sport from age 10 to 18. I shouldn't list a performance/competition from age 15.5 ?

Sorry if this is confusing lol . Thank you :) 

I would put it if it happened in Grade 11 or age of 16. The reason is those with late birthdays are unfairly disadvantaged if we were to use age as a cutoff. 

Archived