Premed 101 Forums

Kinesiology vs. Psychology

Hello! 

I just got admitted to USask for psychology but am thinking about switching to kinesiology. 

I enjoy short answer/MC exams and like to write lab reports - I do not enjoy writing essays. 

I'm wondering which degree would be "easier" to succeed in? 

Also, I've vaguely heard rumors that URegina was easier than USask, and am also debating transferring to Regina.

Any advice regarding kin vs. psych and/or Regina vs. Sask would be much appreciated. 

T

9 minutes ago, Briannaxox said:

They are both equally easy tbh lmao don't worry too much. Since you're already admitted into psych I say do it. It's pretty easy. 

I'd agree but psych will be far more work. Lots of reading and memorizing involved in psych upper level courses. Back in undergrad the upper level psych/neuropsych courses were far more work than any of the other science courses. Attainable grades yes, but much more volume than a Kin course.

Psych can involve a decent amount of essays once you get into upper year seminars. That being said, fascinating subject in my opinion and can be super rewarding. Also, some programs put immense emphasis on research methods, considering the amount of confounding variables one has to consider in behavioural research, so it can be super helpful for both medicine and science if those are areas of interest. 

• 1 month later...

My advice is to do whichever you are more interested in. It is four years of your life, and it’s so much more enjoyable when you look forward to classes, enjoy reading or research or class content. Take classes that are interesting rather than just easy. The UofS cares about your average— to an extent— but achieving an 85 in either of those colleges is very doable. 

On 10/7/2018 at 11:35 PM, MDA said:

My advice is to do whichever you are more interested in. It is four years of your life, and it’s so much more enjoyable when you look forward to classes, enjoy reading or research or class content. Take classes that are interesting rather than just easy. The UofS cares about your average— to an extent— but achieving an 85 in either of those colleges is very doable. 

Thats true but GPA is also important and so is the type of degree. I switch from an interesting degree and had taken second-level courses, where highest average was merely 80! Yes, I was the one who got 80 but med school would never know or even care about that part because such information is unknown to them. What matters in the end is your grades (and interview) in comparison to others! 

On 8/20/2018 at 7:59 AM, imno1 said:

Hello! 

I just got admitted to USask for psychology but am thinking about switching to kinesiology. 

I enjoy short answer/MC exams and like to write lab reports - I do not enjoy writing essays. 

I'm wondering which degree would be "easier" to succeed in? 

Also, I've vaguely heard rumors that URegina was easier than USask, and am also debating transferring to Regina.

Any advice regarding kin vs. psych and/or Regina vs. Sask would be much appreciated. 

T

My two cents. I'm a psych major and the lower level psych courses are pretty easy. But once you start getting into the upper year 3rd and 4th level courses it takes a lot more work to get an A. Not sure what your degree requirements are but neuropsych, neuropsychopharmacology, and cognitive psychology courses are 3 of the harder ones. There are vast amounts of information and detailed neuroanatomy you need to know and you really need to put in the effort. It's not a walk in the park for everyone. For that reason kin might be a slightly easier way but I guess at the end of the day it's all relative. I have 0 interest in Kin and would probably do terrible, but I absolutely love psych and have done well in most of the courses. Pursue what interests you the most and odds are you will do great. 

• 5 weeks later...

Hey, I'm thinking of going into Kin or Psych but have no idea whether I should go to U of R or USask... Is it easier to get better marks at U of R? Or is it worth it to go to USask since it's a better school? Just trying to figure out what would be the best choice to maximize my chances of getting into med school; any help would be appreciated 

Archived